Hunting

Jasmak are you veggie too?

Sadly, I have been eating meat since I got pregnant with Kelana. I was just talking about this the other day with hubby. I want to go back to being a vegetarian. I craved meat when pregnant with Kelana, and was anemic so I gave in :blush:. I am not proud of it. But, there is no reason for me to continue eating meat. Otherwise, yes, I have been a vegetarian for most of my life.

It does make me laugh (well, it might do if it wasn't such a serious subject) how many people are against fox hunting, but considering the uptake of free range meat in this country and thw welfare standards of many meat animals, a high proportion of those 'fox hunting haters' probably eat meat from animals that have lived a dreadful life and possibly died an awful death too. Battery hen eggs are still the largest proportion of eggs sold and battery hens live a horrendous life. However, buying heap eggs and meat benefits 'everyday folk' doesn't it?! Fox hunting doesn't...

I don't really agree with fox hunting. BUT, foxes are a real problem in both Urban and rural areas and something does need to be done to control them, fox hunting is not the nost effective way to do this, but neither is shooting really and poison and trapping are most certainly not humane options.

As for 'other' hunting, myself, my husband and my two older children go shooting. Rabbits mainly, occasionally wood pidgeon, but sometimes pheasant, grouse etc. Everything we shoot is eaten or used (dogs, given to friends etc) and it helps with pest control as wild rabbits are a pretty serious problem in some areas, including ours. I have no problem with it and would much rather eat an animal that has lived a free and natural life and then been killed quickly and hopefully painlessly than a farmed animal.

I don't agree with hunting for sport, unless the animals killed are to be eaten.

Would people consider fishing as hunting?

Yes I certainly do! Fishing is horribly barbaric especially for deeper water sea fish. As a marine biologist I did a couple of weeks on a boat examining some new fishing gear. It's really horrible. Even from our shallow North Sea the fish come up mostly with hugely inflated swim bladders pushing their insides out of their mouths. Plus the practice involves a huge bycatch that can't be landed and is chucked back dead. It's so wasteful. Have you seen the way the larger fish like tuna are caught? :( I highly recommend The End of The Line if you want to see just how barbaric and damaging fishing is.

Fox hunting is a sport. If a farmer has a problem with a fox he should deal with it in a better way. Not chase it down with dogs
xx

There was a video i watched called if slaughterhouses had glass walls.....i was disturbed after seeing that. So much cruelty.

Also the skinning of live animals for their fur repulses me, they leave the skinned animal to die on a pile of other blinking shocked little bodies, most horrific thing i have ever seen.

How a human can do that with no feeling or consience to me defies belief.

I wont post any of the vids on here as they are far too upsetting but feel free to search them if u want to have a look :(

Fox hunting is a sport. If a farmer has a problem with a fox he should deal with it in a better way. Not chase it down with dogs
xx

Suggest a better way?

There is a reason why fox hunting happened. There is a reason why we use predatory dogs to chase foxes. It's not all toffs killing animals as the media would like people to blindly believe.

There was a video i watched called if slaughterhouses had glass walls.....i was disturbed after seeing that. So much cruelty.

Also the skinning of live animals for their fur repulses me, they leave the skinned animal to die on a pile of other blinking shocked little bodies, most horrific thing i have ever seen.

How a human can do that with no feeling or consience to me defies belief.

I wont post any of the vids on here as they are far too upsetting but feel free to search them if u want to have a look :(

I've seen something of similar ilk, and they are disgusting.

xx

Suggest a better way?

There is a reason why fox hunting happened. There is a reason why we use predatory dogs to chase foxes. It's not all toffs killing animals as the media would like people to blindly believe.

Fox hunting is from an era of cock fighting, dog fighting, pugilism etc. I think that says a lot.

xx

Suggest a better way?

Fox hunting is from an era of cock fighting, dog fighting, pugilism etc. I think that says a lot.

All of which have nothing to do with fox hunting, which had a specific aim. A more apt comparison would be rabbiting, which is still done with dogs or ferrets. Not sure why that hasn't been banned. No posh people?

I'm sure at the time people thought those blood sports were just as important. Let's ban rabbiting too.

A better would be shooting etc.

As for rabitting I have a lurcher and people are always telling me to take her rabbiting. Why? She is a family dog and I have want or need to let her go and hunt a rabbit x

A better would be shooting etc.

As for rabitting I have a lurcher and people are always telling me to take her rabbiting. Why? She is a family dog and I have want or need to let her go and hunt a rabbit x

Have you ever been shooting? Shooting live, moving target that is close to the ground, from a distance is nigh of impossible when foxes are so small. Let alone making sure it's a clean shot to kill the animal instantly. You are more likely to injure the animal. Surely that's pretty cruel?

I'm sure at the time people thought those blood sports were just as important. Let's ban rabbiting too.

Dog and bear fighting does not specifically control population numbers. If you ban rabbiting, what's the solution to expanding fox and rabbit numbers? What about the spread of disease from unhealthy animals which would previously have been killed who are suddenly allowed to breed unhindered from a lack of predators? What about deer stalking due to the decimation of the local landscapes with population explosions?

It can't just be a case of saying it's cruel to kill animals, so stop. We eradicated these animals natural predators in the wild a long time ago, and because of that we have a duty to control prey species population. If we hadn't messed around and killed off predatory species then there would be a natural balance in the UK.

Who mentioned bear fighting? :shrug:

My point was the fox hunting developed at a time when as a population we had zero erespect for animals and used them for sport in a variety of ways. That the there is a perceived reason for reducing the fox population doesn't change the fact that fox hunting is barbaric and of a past age.

That they need controlling at is a matter of opinion. Foxes are pest in the urban environment because of our poor waste disposal. They are a pest in the rural becuase of our desire to farm and eat animals. To my mind WE are the problem not the foxes.

And you know, populations of everything survive and balance just fine without our interference. It is only our desire to control and farm and breed and hunt that causes inbalance which leads to outbreaks in populations.

As for killing off larger predators, in the UK we're only really missing wolves and a have a depleted population of the larger hunting birds for which there is work to protect.

Have you ever been shooting? Shooting live, moving target that is close to the ground, from a distance is nigh of impossible when foxes are so small. Let alone making sure it's a clean shot to kill the animal instantly. You are more likely to injure the animal. Surely that's pretty cruel?

Aren't rabbits only a problem because of our desire to farm and eat plants/vegetables? So doesn't that make us the problem there too?

Only, if we don't eat plants and vegetables and we don't eat animals, what exactly would we eat?

The fact is, we as a nation DO farm and eat both animals and plants and therefore foxes and rabbits are seen as vermin. I don't agree fox hunting is the a vert effective way to control foxes, but I also don't think it's the least humane. Poison is far more cruel and shooting isn't effective as foxes are very secreteive and evasive.

If you think it is OK for foxes to do what they do naturally and hunt and kill farm animals (and I am making an assumption here based on what you have said) then what is the difference between foxes hunting and killing and dogs hunting and killing, doing what they do naturally? A fox killed by a pack of hounds will be dead pretty much instantly, which is more than I can say for some of the animals foxes kill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->