• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Hydrosalpinx

Maebelline01

Reaction score
Hi Ladies

I would love to hear from anyone who is willing to share their experience, but especially from ladies who live in the UK as I would like to know more about the IVF on NHS.

I had a Hycosy in July and last week (12/09/2013) had the follow up appointment at the Gynae dept at the hospital, I was told I had Hydrosalpinx in both fallopian tubes. I have cried non-stop for 3 days, i cry even in my sleep because I wake up with wet cheeks. My condition was caused by the Chlamydia infection I had 5 years ago. I had it for 12 months at most before I found out and was given antibiotics. I was told by the consultant at the Gynae department that although the infection was treated the bacteria can cause damage which is not really detected until you try for a baby which is where I am.

I am eligible for 2 IVF cycles on the NHS but they need to remove both my tubes first. I feel hopeless as it is already, I know the tubes are off now use to me anymore but I'm silly enough to think that maybe one day I can conceive naturally if I still keep them, I know full well the chances of that is between nil and zero, but I still keep kidding myself.

I am worried, I have tested negative for chlamydia since 2008 after I got treated (I've been paranoid and getting myself checked regularly), can I still be carrying the bacteria? What does 2 cycle of IVF mean? If the first cycle fails, do I have to go through the whole process again i.e drugs, egg/sperm retrieving or do they use frozen embryo's (if any) and count that as cycle 2?

I am really worried the 2 cycles will fail. And the tubes would have been taken out making it so final that IVF is the only option.

Anyone had similar experiences?

I have no experience of hydrosalpinx or IVF (yet), but didn't want to read and run. I am in the uk so understand you wanting to hear from a uk girl.

I *think* the two IVF rounds are funding for two full goes from scratch. If you have enough good embryos to freeze some, they will offer you this and I think there is a charge for storing them. This is to allow you to try for siblings in the future.(which you would have to fund privately as once you have a child the NHS will not fund further IVF treatment).

If the doctors are recommending tubal removal, I'd expect that there is no chance of you conceiving naturally. The thing with the NHS is it is different to private medicine. You can be confident they are not pushing you to have unnecessary procedures, because every procedure costs money which is coming from the NHS budget. They weight up the risk vs gain of any procedure before agreeing to it/advising the patient. Ultimately though, it is your decision whether to have any given treatment done. What I am trying to say is that if they thought there was a way for you to keep your tubes and conceive naturally, I very VERY much doubt they would be recommending you have them removed. I'm sorry it has come to this for you. You are entitled to ask for a second opinion on the NHS is you are unsure,but these really are questions for your gynae.

Have you thought about having some counselling? Fertility units in the uk offer counselling for free, it may help you to get your head around the loss of your tubes and what it means to you psychologically.

Hi Heres_hoping
Thank you for your message. I feel a bit better now than I did when I posted the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->