Hyperlactation

lovelyredrose

Reaction score
Hi all! I'm new to the forums and I've a question regarding breastfeeding. I'm currently expecting baby# 2. TMI When I breastfed my first baby, I had an overabundant milk supply such that my baby really struggled with the force of milk. I had to express milk in a bottle and feed her. It was a lot more work and this time, I would rather just not use the bottle and feed the baby directly.

Has anyone had previous experience with this problem? How did you handle it? Any tips/advice would be helpful. Thanks. :flower:

I struggled with oversupply with my first particularly, although it was oddly less of an issue second time round.

My tips would be:
to lie back as much as possible to feed

If your breasts are rock hard and it's hard for baby to latch, press your fingers around your areola for a few seconds - it softens it up and gives baby more to latch on to.

Express as little as possible. If you express too much, you're just continuing the cycle of oversupply.

Consider block feeding. Watch out for mastitis though!

And the biggest tip - get some excellent real life breastfeeding support. La Leche League are great. If you can go to a meeting before baby is born, all the better.

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->