hypnobirthing question (sorry if this is obvious?)

Tigerlily01

Reaction score
I have been perusing this forum, and hypnobirth sounds really cool to me...but I have a question (sorry if this is stupid!). Do you have to be lying down to keep your focus, or do these techniques work if you are moving around, in the shower, etc? Also, does the relaxation only work during the delivery part if you are on your back? ie. are you too relaxed, or too busy concentrating to get up to use other positions? I hate the idea of being limited to lying down.

Sorry if that is obvious, I had never heard of hypnobirthing until I read through this forum! Thanks!

No, you don't need to be laying down for any of it :thumbup: This page on the hypnobirthing website explain a little more https://www.hypnobirthing.co.uk/what_is_hypnobirthing.shtml

Not at all... the 'hypno' in hypnobirthing is really about getting yourself into a mental zone where you're totally focussed on what's going on in your body and consciously managing it. You can do it while completely relaxed lying down, sitting, leaning or floating in a tub, even moving around.

You know how runners talk about getting 'in the zone' where they feel like they can run forever? That's a good way of thinking about how you can simultaneously be doing something super-physical and at the same time be completely absorbed in it so that nothing outside of it really matters.

Thanks, this sounds like exactly what I am looking for. I wonder how common this is in the US? I have asthma...well controlled, but still, will probably have to deliver in a hospital (MAYBE in a hospital attached birthing center, but not sure if they would accept me). I just hope they don't treat me like a hippy for wanting to use hypnobirthing! Seems like everyone in the US wants drugs, but everyone in my family has always gone natural, and it seems like their recovery is quicker, which I like the sound of.

Thanks, this sounds like exactly what I am looking for. I wonder how common this is in the US? I have asthma...well controlled, but still, will probably have to deliver in a hospital (MAYBE in a hospital attached birthing center, but not sure if they would accept me). I just hope they don't treat me like a hippy for wanting to use hypnobirthing! Seems like everyone in the US wants drugs, but everyone in my family has always gone natural, and it seems like their recovery is quicker, which I like the sound of.

Hypnobirthing was actually developed in the U.S. so you'll definitely find people who use it there (though I agree, the climate isn't as supportive as it is in other places for natural birth). But as long as your asthma is well-controlled, don't let them use that to bully you into anything you don't want. One of my best friends has severe asthma (like needs a nebulizer) and she had a home birth in the U.S. with no medication whatsoever and was fine. I also have asthma and am planning a home birth and it shouldn't be a problem at all. If you look, you will find hospitals or birthing centers where you will be more supported than at others, even if you have to travel a bit to get there.

Have you heard of Hypnobabies? I took the Hypnobabies course with my 3rd baby and loved it. They specifically teach moms how to stay in hypnosis while moving around, walking, talking and even with their eyes open. It might be worth it to check out their website.

As far as choosing your place of birth, if you want a home birth or birth center birth, I would encourage you to talk to different midwives in your area. Since your asthma is controlled, it may not even be an issue at all where you birth and you just may be able to find a midwife that will support you in whatever place you decide to birth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->