hypnosis vs. meditation

Marie000

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am less than 3 months from my due date and the idea of actually having to give birth is starting to feel quite real. And honestly, I am scared of the pain.

If all goes according to plan, I will give birth at a birthing center with the help of a midwife. There will be no artificial pain relief available.

I have often seen the term 'hypnobirthing' without fully understanding what it implies. The only explanation I got so far was that it was a type of visualization meant to distract you from the pain. Is that a fairly accurate description?
A few years ago, I used t practice meditation regularly. It's something I haven't done in a while, but only out of lazyness. Most meditation was focused on the breath, but the goal was always to be in the present moment, observe what is going on and accept it without judgement.
I am thinking of starting meditation again, and maybe find some guided meditation specifically for birth (or for dealing with pain). So far I'm not finding a lot.
Would hypnobirthing be quite similar? Or as I mentioned earlier, is it more about distracting from the pain / escaping rather than fully living the moment?

I'm not sure if I'm being really clear, but if anyone knows of any good meditation or relaxation resources for childbirth, I would very much appreciate.

Yes they're similar so if you can mediate you should be able to use similar techniques for birth :)

I wouldn't say that hypnobirthing is so much about distracting yourself from the pain or escaping from it, but more about fully immersing yourself in the birthing experience, accepting it, not fighting anything and moving through it. So very much like meditation.

I don't know if you had times when you were meditating where you started to feel uncomfortable or had an itch, but you were able to recognise it - 'yep, my arm is itchy/my leg is cramping' but still just sit through, breathe and let it pass... I think that's kind of what hypnobirthing is like. Passing through each moment, recognising that each moment will pass. For me, when I'm in a deeply meditative state, I can be aware of discomfort, but yet not have it bother me.

I have occasional IBS (bad stomach cramping) and have found my hypnobirthing exercises really helpful in just breathing through it when it happens. Afterwards, I always find myself thinking, 'Huh, that really wasn't so bad', whereas in the past, I would be curled up in a ball of pain, and then gasping with relief when each 'attack' was over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->