Hypothyroid

Sorry to hear a lot of you have been having problems. I have had underactive thyroid for about 10 years. Was originally on 200 mcg but was upped to 250mcg in first trimester, have seen a consultant once, he told me as long as i have bloods taken each trimester i should be fine and i have been, i think its quite difficult though to distinguish between normal pregnancy complaints and what may be thyroid related

I have been booked in for extra scans because of it, does it cause the baby to be big or small?

Also i was only told at my 21 week appointment, with consultant, that i should be having my bloods done every trimester, I have had them done once, which was the day I saw the consultant! Which did annoy me, as I kept telling the mw, how tired i felt and i wasnt sure if it was pregnancy relate or not, and also when i went for my booking in appointment I specfically asked about thyroid issues, and she said nothing, great help they are. I am only on 100mg a day, but iy runs in all the girls side of my family, so it would be handy to know what happens and how it needs changing, I dont have another mw appointment until 31 weeks now, but i am having extra scans at 28 weeks, 32 and 36 weeks

I have been booked in for extra scans because of it, does it cause the baby to be big or small?

Also i was only told at my 21 week appointment, with consultant, that i should be having my bloods done every trimester, I have had them done once, which was the day I saw the consultant! Which did annoy me, as I kept telling the mw, how tired i felt and i wasnt sure if it was pregnancy relate or not, and also when i went for my booking in appointment I specfically asked about thyroid issues, and she said nothing, great help they are. I am only on 100mg a day, but iy runs in all the girls side of my family, so it would be handy to know what happens and how it needs changing, I dont have another mw appointment until 31 weeks now, but i am having extra scans at 28 weeks, 32 and 36 weeks

Why don't you make an appointment to see your GP and ask him if can do a blood test for you, i know if i feel a bit icky and tired my GP is always more than willing to one for me. I haven't been offered any more scans,i am at midwife this afternoon , might mention it to her.
Hope you get sorted out xxx

Hey all, I have found this pregnancy interesting compared to my previous regarding my thyroid levels changing. I have been underactive since I was 10 and pretty steady on the same amount of thyroxine except with my first pregnancy where the dosage was increased a number of times, whereas with this this pregnancy they initially increased the dosage by 75mcg and have since been loweirng it after each blood test, I am now on 100mcg (low dose for me typically).

My question however is this: can my fluctating thyroid levels be the possible cause behind the fact Dr's are now concerned with a possible large baby? I have a scan in 3 weeks to check baby's growth/fluid levels etc, hopefully everything will be fine but if baby's size is large, could it be related to my thyroid condition?

Thanks in advance for replies x and hope everyone else has managed to keep your thyroid levels under control x

I have been hypothyroid for about 12 years now, but because I am also diabetic type 1 they tend to ignore the hypothyroidism - I asked for it to be checked before I fell pregnant and T4 was low and TSH high - the minute (ok well 2 weeks later) that that was fixed I fell pregnant. I have had it checked again since finding out I was pregnant and it is fine again, but last pregnancy I had to increase my dose and this pregnancy I may have to again (my dose never did go back to what it was)

I am interested to hear if hypothyroidism can cause large babies?? I know diabetes can, so never bothered too much about the hypothyroidism - could be making it worse?

I am hypothyroid (was before pregnancy) and i am classed as medium/high risk because of it. If you read on the internet about the condition in pregnancy it can be quit scary. It talks of low IQ, still birth, pre term labour, low birth weight etc etc so i thought it might be a good idea to start a thread in here so we can talk about our concerns and experiences.

I feel like a pin cusion lol, constant blood tests and hospital visits and adjustments of my thyroxine. I am shattered all the time and freezing cold, my skin is dry and i feel like shite most of the time. I'm like this most of the time but more so while pregnant,

I was hypo when i was pregnant with DS2 and i am happy to say he was not pre term (6 days late infact) was born healthy at a healthy weight and is developing at a normal rate. I guess the IQ thing won't become clear until he is older but for now he is doing great. My thyroid is worse this pregnancy so fingers crossed this hippo will be fine as well.

Sorry for the ramble lol, so, anyone Hypothyroid? xx

Just found this thread :) I've been hypothyroid since DD was about 4 months old... I'm not classed as any risk I don't think, my GP has been doing my bloods every 4 weeks, although when I saw the consultant at 34 weeks she seemed to think that was overkill... but my levels havan't changed and my thyroxine dose is still 100mcg...

I'm feeling not too bad now, no worse than at 35 weeks last time... sorry for you ladies that it's affecting more :hugs:

I have been trying to conceive for 5 months, no luck yet. Currently on 200mcg per day of thyroxine. When I discussed coming off the pill with the nurse, she seemd to think being on thyroxine would not matter at all

If your levels are stable then it shouldnt affect getting pregnant its just when they are not in the normal levels. It took me a while to conceive, but my thyroid issue was only diagnosed last year it took us 8 months and 4 months once my levels were normal x

I'm very hypo and take a ridiculous amount of Synthroid (400 mcg). Doc has never mentioned anything special, no high risk, no nothing. Pregnancy, other than bad morning sickness, has been fabulous and healthy.

I'd never even heard of it being a problem till I saw this thread!

Hi there I am also hypothroid. We tried for 9 months before I got pregnant ( apparently I was not ovulating) only to loose it at 6 weeks. I am now pregnant again straight after but only about 4 weeks. I have 100mcg pd. I also had my levels done just before last Mc and they were within theraputic range. Hoping for a sticky baby this time, but I have to admit the hypothyroidism worries me as my Doctor is so laid back and I worry he will dismiss something because I am a bit of a worrier, having said that When I have gone in with genuine worries he has always been quite helpful

I have to have joint care at the hospital because of my thyroid issues and they've doubled my dosage while I'm pregnant as apparantly your levels need to be under 2 while carrying the baby.
Aurora, when did your morning sickness disapear? I'm currently signed off work with my sickness its all day long, I think its related to the thyroid aswell. I can't wait to feel normal again.

Sometime around 17-18 weeks, and it was all day long. I had some relief with acupuncture, but it didn't last long!

Thanks aurora, fingers crossed mine goes soon then

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnneMariena
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->