hypothyroidism

sn0wbunnie

Reaction score
Okay, I need some advice. I was diagnosed with "hypothyroidism." My TSH is 7. My doctor said that is very mild. He said he typically sees patients with 50-100. He said that if I wasn't pregnant, they wouldn't be treating me.

I was prescribed 50mcg of levothyroxine. I'm really debating on whether or not to take it. If it's so mild, is it really worth potentially, possibly, maybe putting my baby at "risk?" I am not a fan of taking meds. Any advice?

get a new doctor! I don't know where to start.. A 7 is not ok- It's not even in the normal range- Normal use to be up to 5.5 now it is 3.5 but alot of doctors dont keep up with it- but the OPTIMAL tsh would be between 1-2.

even many endos dont know this and my endo always has to fight with the reg doc cause the reg doc had let me go over 4.5 this whole pregnancy-
thyroid can cause issues with babies brain function-
but dont freak out- a 7 is not so bad but it shouldn't not be treated.

it has taken me 20 years to find a doc who knew how to treat thyroid. It is so neglected.

check out these sites- "thyroid sexy' on face book- its run by baywatch star who has thyroid issues- the note section has a lot of great info-
I find the star to be spoiled so I dont go on there as much but still so much good info there.

also find https://www.facebook.com/thyroidsupport on fb- Mary Shomon

there are a few great places on line that will help you-

if you need more help private message me- I dont always check second tri and also they might c section me on tue!

xx

Def get a new doctor - anything higher than a tsh if 3 in pregnancy is considered dangerous! Above 5.5 when not pregnant is considered reason for medication. Huge risks of miscarriage and birth defects if you're hypo and not treated. 7 is mildly hypo when not pregnant on the scheme of things (mine was 92 when diagnosed - I wasn't pregnant). My ob and endo won't let mine get above 2 to be safe while pregnant as it's not worth the risk.

Take the thyroxine, it is replacing something that your body naturally produces. It's important that your TSH and T4 levels are monitored and well managed throughout your pregnancy. Your TSH levels ideally need to be as close to 1 as possible.

Also get a new Dr!

The risks associated with an underactive thyroid are only an issue if it goes untreated so try not to freak out too much, but it is important that you take the thyroxine. I had blood tests every 4 weeks and had my dosage level adjusted accordingly.

Good luck xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->