Hysterical over sandals???

margarita1979

Reaction score
Hello!

The weather is really nice where we are now, so we tried putting sandals on DS yesterday. He kicked his feet and cried for a good 5 minutes...even after we had taken them off (and I mean hysterical crying...almost like "how could you do that to me?!?!?!?!"). I'm not sure what the issue is. They're not tight, at all. At home he always wears socks and a pair of running shoes, which he has no issue with. He doesn't like the feel of cold floor on his feet, so could it be a sensory thing (maybe they just feel weird on his feet)? Anybody else have this issue? Not sure what else to do. We can't have him in socks and runners all summer - his feet sweat a lot as it is.

Thanks in advance.

I should also add that DS has the same sort of reaction when we put his rain boots on. For the boots I just assumed they were too tight or pinching somewhere, but I really don't see why he is in hysterics over the sandals. :shrug:

my LO was sort of like that too with sandals and rain boots after a loooong winter of his regular snow boots. I put them on and he'd whine but I told him it was ok and let him walk around the house with them for 5 minutes and now he has no problems with sandals or rain boots.

Weirdly though he didn't act weird with his running shoes when spring came around which was before his sandal and rain boots.

my LO was sort of like that too with sandals and rain boots after a loooong winter of his regular snow boots. I put them on and he'd whine but I told him it was ok and let him walk around the house with them for 5 minutes and now he has no problems with sandals or rain boots.

Weirdly though he didn't act weird with his running shoes when spring came around which was before his sandal and rain boots.

Thanks! We may just have to try the sandals in spurts. We had them on him yesterday for 30 seconds and when DH went to put him on the ground, DS actually bent his knees and lifted his legs up....he didn't want his feet to touch the floor. It's going to be tricky to get him to walk in them. :dohh:

Could you try him with his socks still on first to get used to them? Xx

I keep Berties socks on sometimes although they aren't completely open just have holes round the sides and they don't look bad... probably wouldn't do it with shorts though.
Xx

Kids just like to have some control over their lives and often over ridiculous things! He will focus on something else eventually! DD1 wont wear socks. Ever. Probably been a year since she had them on her feet, its a pain in the arse but toddlers are just weird!

Kids just like to have some control over their lives and often over ridiculous things! He will focus on something else eventually! DD1 wont wear socks. Ever. Probably been a year since she had them on her feet, its a pain in the arse but toddlers are just weird!

Thanks - we hope so! :) Haha, they are weird sometimes, for sure. DS makes me laugh everyday.

I was going to agree with the pp - maybe it's just a control thing, he doesn't want them on, there's no good reason other than that lol. My dd has thrown hysterical fits over something so meaningless before, so I understand. However, when it comes to shoes, my dd is the exact opposite. We tease because she's already got a shoe obsession and she's only 2! But she gets SO mad when I take her shoes off. She wants them on all the time, and if she's barefoot in the house she'll find any shoes to put on, even mine or her daddy's, which is quite hilarious. When it's time for bed sometimes she gets mad when I take off her shoes. I show her where I'm putting them and they're literally the first thing she runs to get in the morning when she gets up.

I'm sure it's just a phase. As long as nothing is physically hurting him, I wouldn't worry about it too much, but don't let him throw a fit and then give in so he doesn't wear them, because then he may end up doing that every time to try to get his way and it will be more difficult to get him to wear them later on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->