Hysteroscopy tomorrow

patboy

Reaction score
Hi ladies
Finally my appointment is here. Has anyone had this done?
What should I expect?
Thanks
P

didnt want to R&R but no hun sorry, i dont know what this is x

Hi Patboy. I've had this procedure done. A word of caution, please ask for some sort of pain killer. My doctor did mine without anything and to be completely honest, it was extremely painful. I don't want to scare you, I just want you to be prepared. She told me that to numb me would hurt even more, so she usually doesn't even bother. I wonder if I would have agreed. It is a fairly quick procedure. That is the good news. And once it is done, you feel no pain at all. In fact, I went to work afterwards. The insert a very thin tube through your cervix and into your uterus. They fill your uterus with saline. You can't feel that at all, just the tube in your cervix. Then they insert the camera. If they don't see anything, the procedure is over. In my case she found a tiny polyp and asked if I wanted it removed. I told her yes as I never wanted to do this procedure again. This took a little longer and definitely was painful as she scraped my uterine lining to get the polyp. The nurse let me hold her hand which was helpful. I did a lot of deep breathing which also helped. Once the procedure was done, I could feel the saline gush out of me. That felt strange but didn't hurt. I had very little bleeding afterwards, more like spotting. I got fairly dizzy after and they made me lie down for 30 minutes, have some juice and crackers. If you feel dizzy, make sure to let them know. It is common apparently. After that, I was fine. I didn't feel any residual pain. The whole thing including the polyp removal was probably 20 minutes tops.

That all being said, I'm very glad I did it. It helped answer questions I had. I thought I had big cycts/polyps/fibroids, but I didn't. If you are going to be awake for the procedure, take some ibuprofen an hour beforehand. Don't take it if they plan to put you to sleep. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Heart Tree, Kanga & Africaqueen, Thanks. Now I just want it over with! Will let you know how it went.

Hi Patboy.
I had this done a few years ago and my experience was very similar to heart tree's. It was a very painful procedure and i would really recommend that u take some strong painkillers around half hr before the HSG to take the edge off the pain.
You dont feel the dye being squirted round your womb and tube, its the inserting of the catheter into the womb which is agonising. Just breath deeply and rem why u are doing this and it will get u thru it ;-) Good luck and let us knw xxx

Hi
It was OK a little bit painfull but only for a few minutes and then it was over. Still a little bit crampy tonight though.
but.... everything was fine, and no further procedures needed thank god.
Thanks for all your comments.
P

Good luck with your results tomorrow, hun! All the best :)

Thanks OMI its not until next tuesday but will post my results on this forum.

I'm a little confused. Is a hysteroscopy the same as an hsg? I thought they were 2 different things? And from the replies, it certainly sounds like an hsg ...

Hi Susan

I dont know. I've never had a hsg.

Waiting patiently for St. Marys to phone with my RMC results!!

Susan,
An HSG is where they push dye through your tubes to check for blockages. A hysteroscopy is where they insert a camera into the uterus to look for polyps/fibroids. I've had both. I was awake for the HSG and it was a bit uncomfortable. I was sleeping for the hysteroscopy because they were also doing the lap.

Good luck with the results patboy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->