I accidentally "sleep trained" my 5 month old thanks to a spicy chili

jessmke

Reaction score
I never "sleep trained" my oldest. She self settled from birth so putting her to bed or down for a nap was always easy peasy, I would just put her in the crib and she would go to sleep. However, she woke 5-8 times per night until she was a year old and always needed boob to go back to sleep. I never "sleep trained" her, one night she just started to sleep through all on her own.

My youngest is the complete opposite, it is pretty hard work to get him down for naps and at night, but once he is out he only wakes usually twice per night for a feed. It takes at least 30 min of nursing, rocking, shushing to get him to sleep. He will be dead asleep in my arms but the second I go to put him down in his crib he wakes up and cries and we start the process over. When I do succeed in putting him in the crib for a nap he needs resettling after 30 min. When my husband isn't home the baby would nap in the Ergo because I can't leave my oldest unattended for the time it takes to get the baby down for a nap. I never had any intention of "sleep training" my baby, I figured he needed a little extra comfort and I was ok with that. Well last night I had a super spicy chili for dinner, and this morning my stomach felt a little off. I was putting the baby down for his nap this morning, he had finished nursing but wasn't quite asleep yet when I felt a rumbling in my tummy and I needed to go to the bathroom ASAP! I knew he was going to cry, but I put him down in his crib and ducked out to go to the bathroom (hubby was outside playing with the toddler). Baby started crying as soon as I put him down, but before I got back from the bathroom he had fallen asleep! It took about 3 min, I was shocked! This afternoon for his nap I unlatched him as soon as he was finished nursing and put him in the crib. He cried out once and then fell asleep. He woke 30 min into his nap, shuffled around a bit and farted a few times, then fell back asleep for another 2 1/2 hrs! It was the longest nap he's ever had! Tonight I put him down as soon as he stopped feeding and he went to sleep without a peep! I can't believe it! I never had any intention of "sleep training", especially not at 5 months old, and even now I'm not sure I agree with it if it causes a lot of distress to the baby, but man am I ever glad I ate that chili last night!

Haha... I was only thinking yesterday I will be 'accidentally' sleep training new baby as dd is very demanding and he will inevitably get left longer than I'd like to see to him!! Hopefully the 3 minutes will apply to us too!!

hahahah rofl yep, a couple of my babies "sleep trained" that way, too. Not with spicy chili but with tummy bugs. :) Well, a 5 month old crying for a few mins before drifting off to sleep is certainly not going to hurt, but messing your pants may have. Good call. ;) hahaha!

hahahah rofl yep, a couple of my babies "sleep trained" that way, too. Not with spicy chili but with tummy bugs. :) Well, a 5 month old crying for a few mins before drifting off to sleep is certainly not going to hurt, but messing your pants may have. Good call. ;) hahaha!

:xmas13:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"