I actually HATE the grand national

Aidan's Mummy

Mummy to Aidan and Oliver
Reaction score
So I totally forgot the grand national was on today and when I woke from my nap I woke to the news that two horses had died :cry: I am a big horse lover and it just breaks my heart, how many horses have to die before they say enough is enough? Nearly EVERY year without fail a horse/horses die, why is this acceptable? One of my friends said "Raching drivers die, you don't hear people moaning about that. Its just a horse" So I said first of all racing drivers making a CHOICE to race they know the dangers and they decide to take that risk. It is a real tradegy when they do die and I'm in no way saying it's their 'fault' but they have the mental ability to make a choice based on what they know. Horses make no such choice they have no concept of how dangerous that track can be, humans make the choice for them. Also they arn't just horses, they are beautiful, living, breathing creatures with their own thoughts and feelings. I just don't understand how anyone can justify a 'sport' or 'entertainment' when so may horses have died at the hands of it :nope: Sorry ladies rant over, I have a real love for horses and I hate seeing them being put at risk like they are every year for this stupid bloody race :growlmad: x

like someone else in GS said, why do people just care about the grand national horses? 5 died during the cheltenham festival and no one 'cared' then :shrug: i dont like horses but it is ashame. millions of animals die for us humans though.

i hate any form of animal racing!!! its just not right IMO...

i went dog racing once when i was younger & very nieve & was gutted when my dog that i bet on fell & ended up dying... all my mates were like 'ha gutted there goes your 5er'....

xx

I hate it. Hate hate hate hate hate it.

:nope:. If people really knew (or actually cared) what those horses had to go through for "entertainment" then nobody would do it. Sick.

I dislike it too, but then the same could be said for the amount of animals which are slaughtered everyday to go on the supermarket shelves for meat consumption, alot of them die in pain too.

I had to give up my job at corals years ago because I couldnt watch any jumping races, it would just make me cringe and hide away from the screens everytime.
I used to bet on the national but for 5 years straight every horse I bet on died and as stupidn as it sounds I felt I was condeming them each time I placed a bet

I think it's sad any animal has to die for 'sport', it just really saddens me. I probably would be horrified at the way some are treated before being slaughtered as well, I just hope to god that those cases are few and far between x

I think it's sad any animal has to die for 'sport', it just really saddens me. I probably would be horrified at the way some are treated before being slaughtered as well, I just hope to god that those cases are few and far between x

Its not as though its intentional though, same thing could happen to them jumping a fence out in a field.
RSPCA take great lengths to make sure the course is technicaly safe to jump and its just a sad thing that some get hurt.
While I do hate it its not like its done with the intention that horses are going to be killed.

I completely agree with you hun, so sad. I dont encourage it at all.

It is sad and I hate when they die, but they do try and make it as "safe" as possible, a horse could fall and break its leg in a field resulting in being shot. I dont agree with the whipping of the horses at all however and I believe the horses should run how fast they want not run faster because they are being whipped.

I completely agree, it happens year in year out and they don't seem to do anything to make it better. Its really sad :cry: xx

It is sad and I hate when they die, but they do try and make it as "safe" as possible, a horse could fall and break its leg in a field resulting in being shot. I dont agree with the whipping of the horses at all however and I believe the horses should run how fast they want not run faster because they are being whipped.

i really really really dont understand this???....Iv ridden now for 11 years and can honestly say this has never happened! its not a daily occurance and quite frankly yes, it can happen, but thats life, as in real life!...horses are MADE to run the national...for SPORT. Standing in a field grazing is not the same!

Also whipping, I don't believe they do actually hit the horse, the whip is purely there to make a noise pushing the horse to go further. My horse only has to be shown a whip to improve her work, and trust me that's not from hitting her! - The jokey will use his 'seat' or legs to push the horse harder, the whip is there as a back up (or so i was told at equine college!)

Having owned a 5year old ex racer, iv seen first hand the damage done to these horses, The breathing problems they have for life, her joint issues etc she was 5!!!... :( :nope:

One of my friends used to work with racing horses and never had a bad word to say about them. She too loves horses and was one of the ones who looks after them. Apparently they're very well looked after and the whip won't hurt them.....like a tap on the bum :shrug:

I used to think it was cruel too until she told me about her experiences. Obviously she can't speak for all horse owners but she's worked for a few and doesn't have a bad word to say. I used to say it was mean making them run but she said if they didn't want to, technically they wouldn't as they could easily throw their rider off which is true I guess. I do think its such a shame they may die though :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->