I am a bit confused about weaning... Need a bit of help.

Nanaki

Mummy 2 two boys, an angel and a girl!
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

My son is now nearly 4 and half months old, let me explain about his behaviour. And he is on formula milk. I know the recommended to start weaning him at 6 months as was told by the Health Visitor, my view is on this is that I am there for my son Billy 24/7 and seen all of his behaviour during the day and the HV doesnt see him often. And my friend's son was same age as him when her son like that. And HV said can keep him on baby rice for few weeks.

He is now chewing his hands in his mouth but not yet sit up. I started him on baby rice but small portion to start him off, he takes it well. But only thing that pissed me off is that he wanted more milk he keeps crying for it after hour and half, he usually wanted feed 3 hourly. As he is currently on 6oz bottles and 7oz in the morning after his long sleep. And I dont know whether to give him another baby rice portion or something else as it is so new to me and my hubby. But I already bought Farley Rusks in case thou. His last weight about 2 weeks ago 15lbs 15oz.

I mentioned it to my hubby if I could give rusks of course mush it with milk for his tea and he said if we do that, it will gain his weight more quickly?

I am confused by this, please help?

This to me sounds like the big 4 month growth spurt. Can you not offer more milk, will he drink more? 6oz bottles certainly wouldn't have been enough for my baby at that age, she was on 9oz. That would be more nutritious for him than rice or rusk (the latter contains sugar). If he's extra hungry it is because he needs more milk to grow.

Chewing hands isn't a sign of readiness for solids btw, my LO did that from a very young age...

If he wants more milk, just give him more milk. Milk needs to be the main source of his nutrition right up until one year anyway. Personally I'd avoid rusks like the plague, due to their very high sugar content. Also, chewing hands is nothing to do with weaning, it's just a development stage that all babies go through.

He usually dont take more than 6oz from the bottle. He usually wanted more milk, and I try to keep him mind off it and play with him. It dont help. One story about chewing on his hand is not ready to wean and other story it is. which is why i am not sure of.

Well maybe he just needs to feed little and often then? He's a good weight, so I'd be inclined to think that's working for him.

Hi hun

I had the same situation. My son is now on baby porridge and a bottle of milk in the morning and baby rice with his bottle at tea time and it is working with us. Will be changing his rice soon to pureed vegetables.

His routine is:

Bottle as soon as he wakes up
Baby porridge & bottle about 1 and half later
12ish lunchtime bottle
late afternoon - baby rice & bottle
Bedtime - bottle of milk
He has approx 7oz of milk in each bottle and usually drains it.

xx

He won't gain weight from weaning, often weight gain slows down, so don't worry about that.

If you feel he needs solids, give him solids. Avoid meat, gluten etc, stick to fruits, cereals, veggies for now.

Have you tried him on hungry baby milk or is he on that already?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->