I don't get it......I think?

pebbie1

Mum to Marielle & Markus
Reaction score
So I'm breastfeeding my little boy and he was sleeping 7-7.30 with 1 feed at 4am. Since the start of September he's waking anywhere between 2 and 7 times a night, during which he feeds (not suckling).
So I expressed milk last night to get him used to a bottle as I'm starting boot camp (oh dear) tonight and that way hubby can feed him.
I got 5oz of milk out of both boobs in total. He normally feeds of 1 boob for his other feeds throughout the day but both boobs at night.
Now I looked on a pack of formula and on there it said from 4 months to give 7oz feeds. So my brain is going overtime and I can't think straight because of sleep deprivation, but is he waking so often because he's not getting enough milk and he's hungry?
If he gets 2oz less from breastfeeding than the formula recommends, and with breastmilk being lighter than formula, does he wake then because he's hungry?? Last night he woke 4 times and fed all 4 times. I'm expressing throughout the day now so I can get a 7oz bottle to see if that makes any difference. Or should I top up with formula?
He's growing fast and his weight is on the 50tg percentile (has been from birth and still was last week) but with his length in 97.5 and because he's so tall we're in 6-9 months clothes and they fit him perfectly and he's 4.5 months now.
I know the 4 month sleep regression is on and he defo has that AND he's teething but I was just wondering if he's hungry.

Thanks ladies!
X

Breastfed babies tend to take about 4oz in a feed from my experience. Not sure why formula fed babies go up and up..and you can never get as much milk out of your boobs as baby can :). He wont be starving, I bet you with 99% assuredness that it's the sleep regression.

Im really not sure but I was told babies can get more milk from you than a pump can so he might get more than 5oz

140ml should be fine.
https://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/pumping/milkcalc/

Babies on formula need to eat more progressively as formula milk stays the same, whereas breastmilk composition changes with your baby's age and is suited to their growth requirements (more fat nutrition for example).

If baby is weeing enough and generally happy he's likely getting enough but heading through 4month growth spurt which is huge & sleep regression.

:flower:

Hi. I'm not breastfeeding so someone else might be able to offer some better advice but I just wanted to let you know that my 6 month old only has 5 oz bottles. Every baby is different and the advice on the formula is only a recommendation. It sounds like your lo is going through the 4 month sleep regression. I think that if he's not getting enough milk he would also be feeding more during the day but as I don't breastfeed I could be wrong. Anyway I just wanted to let you know that not all babies are having 7 oz at that age.

Yeah I was just goin to say aswell not all babies will be having 7oz mine certainly wasn't that's just a guide which tbh is abit pointless because I think it causes more worry than its worth. Babies will eat what they need don't worry :)

Oh and I think its definety the regression your in as apposed to him being hungry. Also I'm not an expert on this or anything (only my opioion) but have you tried getting him back to sleep without feeding each time? Maybe feed every couple of times? I'm only saying this because if it's because of regression/teething and he's being fed he might get used to waking and being fed and then it might be harder for you to break it in the future.

Formula is designed to meet the nutritional requirements of a 1-3 month old baby therefore this is why they need greater and greater volumes to fill them. 5oz from a pumping session is 2.5x the upper end of average so actually indicates a very good supply and possible oversupply. The average is 0.5-2oz per session. Breast milk is lighter and more easily digested but by four months it is more tailored and appropriate for a baby of that age than formula, and this is why more FF babies are started on solids before six months than BF ones xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->