I dont want to be induced - is it ok to say NO!?

firsteverbump

Reaction score
Hi there, :flower:

Im new to this website and im 33 weeks tomorow. I was diagnosed with GD at 28 weeks. Its currently diet controlled, as well as my gestational diabetes though, unfortunately at 20 weeks I was pregnant with non-identical twins (so each in their own sack) and the first twins waters broke and she was born stillborn two days later. Against all odds though - my cervix closed and although i have been on mostly bed rest since then, the second twin stayed in and is growing well. It was and still is a very traumatic time - i have not been able to enjoy my pregnancy for fear of losing my second baby at anytime and that topped with GD now is a little overwhelming!

Ok - I would love some general advice from the best people which are you lot!

My consultant says that becasue of the risk of infection (as first babys placenta is still inside) she is not letting me go past 37 weeks pregnant so baby will definately be born before then. I dont mind trying for a normal delivery if i go into labour myself, however if I dont I have told her I am going to be refusing to be induced (be it her breaking my waters or induction meds) as i know induction means more intervention and risk to my baby with delivery and i just dont want to be induced after everything that has happened to me and want the responsibility taken off me, and would much prefer a caesarean, rather than the long road of induction before 37 weeks.

My consultant says i have backed her into a wall and am sort of blackmailing her as she doesnt want to give me a caesarean (as no physical indication but i can tell you there is a BIG emotional reason for me to have one).

My question (after that long explanation sorry...) to you is - after losing one baby already this pregnancy at quite a late stage, being terrified and having lost all faith in my body and now having GD - am i completely being unreasonable in refusing being induced? I feel like such a bad person and its stressing me out now my consultant is saying these things but surely i have to do what I believe is best for me and my baby?

I know a caesarean is major surgery, i really do but i also know all the risks of induction and the long process at 37 weeks when my body is less likely to be complient with induction as well as all the monitoring risk of forceps delivery and oxygen starvation to her etc. - I really only care about the welfare of my baby now and just want her here safe and think a caesarean if I dont go into labour myself is the best option for me. Your advice would really help, thanks

There are loads of risks with a c-section as well. For both of you that you should also be taking into consideration, not just the risks of induction.

I think your doctor is also backing you into a corner with forcing an induction at 37 weeks. That is one the early end of being full term. If there a problem with monitoring you and the baby from 37 weeks and taking it from there?

Neither a c-section or an induction are with out risks. You and your doctor need to discuss those risks and weigh them to see what is best for you and the baby b

I would ask to be monitored first. I second what Samantha has said, early C-section is not the lesser of two evils, really - it can cause difficulties in breathing etc. and carries much higher risks for you both.

I'm so sorry that are going through this and am so sorry for your loss.

I don't have much knowledge on GD, sorry but I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along soon. I would have thought that your baby being in it's own bag of waters would protect it somewhat from infection from the other bag, but I may be wrong on that. Why did she say 37 weeks was the magic number?

I wouldnt go against anything you are advised. If they recommend to be induced, I would 100% go with it. They were the ones who were able to keep your second baby healthy and strong. I was induced and it was a great experiance. I had pre-e and was induced at 34 weeks. It wasnt what I wanted, but it was certianly better for my baby. And thats ALL that matters, right? Certianly whats best for my baby comes before what I want.

Definitely agree- a C-section is also a major intervention with elevated risk- more so than induction, which is why they always try to induce where they can before going to a C-section as a last resort. Much longer recovery for you with a C-section as well. Both my brothers were born healthy at 37 weeks, it's a bit early but not too much.

Good luck with whatever you decide! :flower:

You might find this blog helpful as there's lots on GD, I've posted a link to a recent post https://scimum.tumblr.com/day/2011/06/20

Are you in the UK? If so I highly recommend contacting AIMS (Association for Improvements in Maternity Services) as they'll be able to highlight any relevant research and also give you recommendations on how to ensure that you get the best care.

Please don't feel like a bad person because you're not, by seeking out information you're being a great mum and taking care of yourself and your baby. It is not about "what's best for the baby", frankly I find that whole attitude a tad insulting, particularly considering that you've already lost one of your babies.

Induction does have it's place but it is vastly over-used (often with no clinical reasoning).

Trust your instincts and remember that you know your baby and body better than anyone else.

Hi, what a journey you've been on so far, you must be so stressed out :( :hugs:

Both being induced and having a c/s are big things, IMO, I've had both and I'd rather neither ;)

I'd be asking why the risk of infection suddenly appears at 37 weeks. Is there no risk now? If it's something that can be monitored, then yeah, I'd be asking to be monitored and if there's nothing indicating the need for the baby to come out sooner, I'd be waiting as long as I could.
I just don't understand why all of a sudden as soon as you tick over to 37 weeks you're at risk...?

37 weeks may well be considered full term, but it's at the VERY early side of the spectrum and being so early can cause issues when being induced.
Your cervix may not even be ripe and ready to go then...

I'm really sorry that you're being faced with this :hugs:

Keep asking your Dr questions, ask WHY, why the risk, why the risk then?
You deserve full and proper answers so you can make fully informed choices.
Your body, your baby, your choice!

GL :hugs: :hugs:

I was induced early at 38 weeks. The labour and birth were perfectly straightforward, no intervention was necessary (even though I wasn't favourable when we started!) and DD was fine. She had issues controlling her blood sugar but that was because of the diabetes and would have gotten worse if she'd stayed in.

The same thing is almost definitely going to happen again this time, and I'm fine with it. I know it's the best thing for my baby.

To be honest, given your complications, I'd go with the induction. It can be completely straightforward. A caesarian is major surgery and I wouldn't opt for that unless I had no choice.

ixchel, I assume the risk of infection has been present since 20 weeks but the doctor is rightly unwilling to induce before the baby is full term.

Thanks for all your advice, its nice to know there are others who have been through early induction with such success stories.

The risk of infection has been there since 20 weeks and ive been monitored with blood tests each week and swabs etc since then as well as me having to check my temperature every day.

They want to get her out by 37 weeks as this almost never happens in twin pregnancies and their thoughts are not to keep her in such close proximity to the dead placenta etc and risk of infection anymore than they have to and with my GD anyway they look to induce only a few weeks later at 38/39 weeks in my hospital so as babies are considered 'term' at 37 weeks, they want to get her out then.

I know there are pros and cons for both caesareans and induction at 37 weeks - my thought process to wanting a caesarean is that i feel like my body has let me down so much during pregnancy and before (I had IVF too and couldnt even get pregnant myself to begin with) that if they do induce me and something happens in labour and delivery to cause her any harm i will blame myself and not cope with it.

I will take all on board when it comes to deciding whether to be induced or not. Here's hoping my body can do something right and go into labour itself before the decision needs to be made! Will let you know how it goes over the next month and good luck to everyone else and wishing everyone healthy babies xx

my mum lost my twin much earlier then u lost yours so not as traumatic and i was born at 36 weeks...my mum did go into labour herself tho, her labour wasnt great but i was perfectly fine being born at that stage.

by the sounds of things it really does seem the best thing to do is get baby out, there is obviously more risk her being in there then out at around 37 weeks.

i would never have a section unless totaly needed as the thought scares the hell out of me, obviously u no the risks.
i was induced at 41+5 with my son and it went fine, so inductions arent always horrible.

i would go with early induction myself

i hope everything goes well and i have got gd so i know how you feel last pregnacy was induced at 38 weeks but took a week to work i thought be induce then have her but dont work like that prob wishful thinking good luck fx hun try not to get too stressed

Ow, hun, I can see why you've lost faith in your body but try not to blame yourself or your body, nature can be cruel.

Can you do anything to try to get your mind to a better place? Would you consider hypnotherapy, or something similar? I hate the thought of you going in there in fear and worry.

I think with the complications you've had nobody would blame you for whatever decisions you make, but I understand that you would blame yourself if you have complications due to induction, try not to beat yourself up either way. TBH though as far as I know the biggest risk of induction, is ending up with a forceps, ventouse or C-Section and discomfort for you. There is some risk of fetal heart decellerations due to the intensity of contractions, but they will have you well monitored and will take action if that starts to occur, they can turn off the drip at any time. I would be, like you, quite anti-induction for an uncomplicated pregancy but your case absolutely warrants intervention. If you feel better going for a section then nobody could blame you either. I'm really hoping though that it all happens in a way that can restore some faith in your body for you. Whatever you choose, I'll be thinking of you and I hope you can get some counselling either before or after your birth as well, as you've been through so much. xxx

I would say that rather than your body letting you down, it's doing something so amazing by continuing your pregnancy against very long odds! Please don't be down on yourself. Your body is doing some of the hardest work of its life. Feed it healthy food, drink plenty of fluids, and rest when you can. Pregnancy is hard work, and twin pregnancies more than doubly so. You've come a long road already, try to become more confident in your body's ability to heal and thrive.

If you accepted the induction with an unfavourable cervix and you didn't progress, you'd get a caesarian anyway, so I probably would accept the induction but make it clear that you don't want to hang around if there's anything abnormal.

That being said, recovering from a c-section with a baby is horrid and I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Hope everything sorts itself for you xx

I am so sorry to hear about you 1st twin :hugs:

I have had an emergancy c sec and an induced labour (ok my son was sleeping and only 20 weeks) but it was still an induced labour.
But from my experience of recovery and welbeing of myself I would be following with their advice and going for the induction as a first option. REcovery from a section is a hard and long process, and in my case the no skin to skin caused a lot of problems with feeding and that initial bond you hjave with your baby.

Like said above they will monitor you v.closely and if things arnt progressing or baby is getting distressed they will give you an emergancy c sec.

I wish you the best of luck with what ever choice you make, and I am sure you will get that baby home with you very soon xxx

im sorry for your loss hun, all i can say is i was induced term but ealry and my LO was perfect xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->