I dropped my baby on the stairs

jessmke

Reaction score
Oh my god. I slipped on the edge of the stair while I was going downstairs carrying Isla and she went flying out of my arms, landed on the stair on her head, flew down a few more stairs and landed on her face. The stairs are wood so there isn't even carpet to cushion her fall. Luckily because we have a spiral staircase the stairs are really wide on the outside (and really narrow on the inside) and she finally landed on the wide part of the stair so that stopped her from tumbling all the way down. I think she is ok, she cried for a few minutes then wanted to nurse and then was back to her old self. I actually cried for longer than she did. I am still shaking and it happened over an hour ago. The backs of the stairs are open, so if she had rolled the wrong direction she would have fallen through the back of the staircase and would have landed on the stone floor in the basement. I can't stop thinking about what the outcome would have been if that had happened. I've been going down the stairs like a careful child ever since it has happened. I can't believe how resilient babies are. If someone had thrown me down the stairs like that I would have literally broken my neck, but she just cried for a few minutes and then wanted to go play with her toys.

Aw Hun accidents happen and you are so right they are so resilient. Back in July I was carrying Daisy down the stairs I slipped halfway down and fell to the bottom holding her still she hit her head on the bottom step and I felt a crack in my leg and I started panicking I think that's what made her cry bless her... I comforted her she crawled off laughing as I crawled across the floor. First person to phone even at 25 is my dad lol. He came round turned out I had broken my leg and he called an ambulance as it was in a pretty bad way. They came out and checked over Daisy and she was laughing with them blowing raspberries at them the paramedic said they are tough little cookies babies and they really are.

Hope your little one is ok xxx

My two year old son fell down the stairs the other week. :'( I had to run downstairs real quick for something, and since his baby sister was napping and he's normally so careful around the stairs, I didn't close the safety gate. As I was just about to head back up the staircase, I heard a crashing noise, and saw him turning head over heels falling down the stairs. He fell down every single one and hit his head hard on the wood floor. Luckily he was fine after screaming for a few minutes, but I felt HORRIBLE. I couldn't stop thinking about what could have happened. I felt like the worst mom ever.
Your situation is much more of an accident and not your fault at all! Still, I know as a mom it's hard not to be too hard on yourself. Thank goodness your daughter is fine.

Accidents happen, I'm sure she is fine. Give yourself a big hug and a hot drink and she won't even remember it

My son fell down the stails last week. Went backwards smacking his head several times and I almost threw up. He cried for a cuddle but then went off and played. It's normal to think of what ifs and make yourself panic but it's all done now. Big hugs dxx

Aww hun these things happen :hugs:
My baby fell off the arm of the sofa the other weekend when he was climbing and landed on top of our dog.
They are more resilient than we think. :hugs:

When Lexi was a baby she tumbled down two stone steps, I'd just turned round for a split second to grab her shoes, hadn't moved from her side and slip! I would say if baby fell on her head it might be worth getting her checked out, just cause she can't tell you if she feels sick or has a headache but I'm sure she's fine

Gracie fell face first in the shower last night. I stood her up so I could grab her shampoo(we have a walk in shower and we were in together) and she slipped on the bubbles and landed face first. She lay there motionless for maybe half a second and I honestly was scared to look, I was convinced she would have a broken nose or tooth as a minimum! She also cried briefly and was fine. I still hear the thud!

Thanks guys, I couldn't sleep last night because I kept hearing the thud of her hitting the stairs and thinking about what if's. My OH works at the local children's hospital so he asked a paediatrician who said to just keep an eye on her and to not give her any pain meds that might mask if she is hurt somewhere. She seems completely fine.

If the "what ifs" keep intruding into your thoughts for too long, get counselling if you can afford it. These kind of events can be really traumatising. I have been diagnosed with a form of OCD over Sophie being hit by a car 2 years ago and wish I had done something after it happened.

I won't tell you not to worry bla bla bla as of course you will be, you must be feeling extremely upset and anxious. You poor thing :-(

My DS took a tumble down the stairs when he was about the same age it's more common than you think by the sounds of it :hugs:

My daughter fell out of her high chair today! She had a big lump on her head so hubby took her Tom the doctors and she seems fine, horrible though!

How is she now? It sounds like it was worse for you than her! Honestly I think every mum has an accident at some point. Just wait until she ie a toddler and is determined to climb up and on everything :)! It would probably be a good idea to get the back part of the stairs fixed so she can't fall through.

Oh my gosh.

When my LO was 2 weeks old, I tripped on our stairs over my pant leg (I think) and we went down. I held her close to me and said, "Oh, God" over and over on the way down. It was so scary. I slid the best I could on my body and held her close to me. I didn't let go. My husband came a running and looked at us and I was already crying in fear. I told him amongst tears that I think she is okay. Babe was okay, mom had bruises all over her body and I hurt for days after. I was still healing from the birth, as well.

I cried and cried. My DH told me I did what I should have and it could have been worse. It scared the hell out of me.

<3 so glad everything is ok!

I took a bad tumble down the stairs when I was a baby. I was using a walker and the gate wasn't locked. I was bruised all over my face (from what I hear), but the dr wasn't worried after he did an examination.

Without meaning to scare anyone or worry anyone, if a baby or child falls down the stairs they should really be checked out in A&E. Just to double check xx

Yep, any large bang to the head needs to be seen to.

She is perfectly fine now, not a single bump or bruise. I think it was worse on me than it was on her!

Glad she's ok! Think it's always so much harder on us mums!

My daughter fell face first off the sofa a few weeks ago- I cried more than she did :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->