I feel like a broken tap

HappyHome

Big family = Busy family
Reaction score
I'm only on day 6 and I'm leaking really badly. I have to double up on breast pads and they're still soaking pretty soon after popping them in.
When I get my breasts out to feed they leak everywhere til I get baby latched on, then it's like I'm drowning her, she gulps and I hear the gurgling in her tummy, the first few minutes of each feed take a while to get going due to the flow (I think) and I'm worried it will hurt LO.
What can I do? She's feeding every 2-3hrs, and roughly 20mins per feed.
I just want to do my best for her :flower: but I'm such a newbie for breastfeeding it scares me.

You're doing really well and it's very early days, it's going to take a while to get into the rhythm of it :hugs:

At the moment your breasts don't know how much milk to make because your LO is so young. Your body is getting used to her demands. Over time your milk supply will match her needs and you won't be leaking everywhere :flower: I think they say it takes about 4-6 weeks for the supply to fully regulate.

She will also get more used to the flow in time as she gets bigger and she'll be able to handle it fine.

Well done, try not to worry, just relax and let baby nurse whenever she wants.

Thanks so much for your reply, I really appreciate it.

I had similar issues with abundant supply & a little tip I was given which I still have to use on occasion is, if she is struggling, gulping etc, unlatch her & use a muslin or towel to catch the flow/spurts for a sec till it slows down. You might have to do this a couple of times during the feed. Also try to lean back a little to let gravity do its thing xxx

Thanks. I have been doing this while getting into position.
1 week today and I'm so pleased its going well.
I know I'll be a pain on the forum with all my questions though xx

6 days sounds right. I was leaking and enforced around that time too but it passes, hang in there.

I think when milk comes in, it's over abundant and regulates down to what the baby needs. That's why they discourage pumping early on because it makes oversupply worse.

I haven't felt as full today so far (is it called engorged?) so maybe things are changing already xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->