I found a paper mei tai pattern!

Lu28

Aisling's mammy
Reaction score
A bit of a random thread but a while back I had asked about how to make a mei tai. I'm useless at these things so couldn't understand any of the great instructions I was given :dohh: I was really excited when I saw a proper paper pattern for a mei tai in our local fabric shop! :happydance: Now I just have to figure out what material to buy and give it a go when I have 5 minutes...

For anyone who's interested, it's McCall's Crafts number M5678.

ooh sounds good hun, although it really is sooo easy, cut a rectangle for the panel, cut 4 straps, thats it really, but i guess if uve never done it before it sounds a lot harder, i remember when i made mine i didnt have a clue beforehand lol

x

I'm also the girl who broke all 3 sewing machines provided in home ec class - eventually I was made to just watch and not touch anything!! :blush:

I'm also the girl who broke all 3 sewing machines provided in home ec class - eventually I was made to just watch and not touch anything!! :blush:

roflmao!!!

Poor you! But good for you for diving back in! :)

:haha:
You wil;l do fine hun and they are so quick to make, mine take around 5 hours to make now, just remember to pre wash all fabrics before you use them so colours don't run.
I bet you do great xx

What is the best type of fabric to use? x

Anything hun but line it with either canvas(calco) or i use a prefold as they then get a bit of padding. xx

Sorry dippy dee, you're going to get so many questions! What's a prefold??

What is the best type of fabric to use? x

DD had good suggestions, but I thought I would add what I used, too.

I used Batik for the decorator fabric, fleece to line, duck (denim) for straps and structure, and warm and natural for the batting:

https://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx223/TigerLady_Otter/IMG_1246.jpg
https://i758.photobucket.com/albums/xx223/TigerLady_Otter/IMG_1247.jpg

I would love to have a go at this! my sewing skills are non-exisitant but i think i'll give it a go too!

i used fleece to line then cotton for outer and straps, well straps have fleece inside aswell so they are a bit padded :D

x

tiger that looks amazing well done you, looks really really comfy and a perfect fit, im so jealous i just blew up my sewing machine, i blame it on being from the 509s rather than my terrible sewing skills lol
All i would say on the pattern is check for x boxes, im an x box fanatic but theyre really important to make sure its sturdy and reinforced enough to stay together whilst holding baby up, good luck cant wait for pics xxx

God, another stupid question!! What's an x box?!?! All I can think of is the stupid computer thing my DH is obsessed with! :lol:

An X box is where you sew extra support into the areas that will take the most strain. That way the seams don't loosen or let go! :shock:

The tutorial I used to make that mai tei has a really good description of them with pictures so you get the idea. Look for the rectangles with the x's in them. They are at the seams that connect the body and the straps together at the wearer's shoulders:

https://stilllearninglife.blogspot.com/2008/01/diy-hood-to-headrest-mei-tai-tutorial.html

Just looked -- it is toward the bottom of that page. Basically, you leave a tail from the straps inside the body, then you sew the x box over the tail onto the body. It makes the strap really strong (which it NEEDS to be!)

i'm really tempted to have a go at this! I was worried that it would fall apart when I was wearing it, but with those x boxes, it is a bit more reassuring

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->