I Missed Our 6-Week Development Appointment - Can Anyone Tell Me What They Check For?

Jemima

Mother of One
Reaction score
My local surgery is split into two areas and for some reason they booked Poppy into the other one for her 6 week check. Anyway, I went along to our village surgery and was told I had come to the wrong place and I should call to re-book. My fault for not reading the letter properly, I suppose :dohh:.

I have just called and they can't book her in until 22nd December!! Ridiculous, I know. So...

What do they check for at the six week development check? Is there anything I should be concerned that they may not pick up on before December?

Thanks girls.

J x

At my 6 week check they checked Mayas reflexs, weight, hips also asked about feeding habits & booked her in for her jabs

They also asked how I was feeling & will check any stitches you had (if you want)

Its no big deal if you don't have it now I suppose but if you're really concerned then push for an earlier appt or see your HV

Same as with Kelly.They checked her hips,weight and reflexes.
Asked me how am I coping and how is her routine doing.

As for me,they only checked my BP,asked how my stitches are doing and if anything's bothering me....and that was that.

6week check up is for you not baby....the babies check is at 8wks and includes her 1st imms.

Just make an appointment with your dr and tell them its for your 6wk postnatal check...it's important not to skip it:hugs::hugs:

6week check up is for you not baby....the babies check is at 8wks and includes her 1st imms.

Just make an appointment with your dr and tell them its for your 6wk postnatal check...it's important not to skip it:hugs::hugs:

My 6 week check was almost completely for Sam - his reflexes, hips etc were checked and I was asked about his feeding etc. She only asked me if I had any concerns and if I'd thought about contraceptives (although I was told to book a double appointment as it was for both of us). He had his injections at 8 weeks but no checks at all - was just done by the nurse and was out again within about 5 minutes - not seen by a doctor x

My 6 week check was almost completely for Sam - his reflexes, hips etc were checked and I was asked about his feeding etc. She only asked me if I had any concerns and if I'd thought about contraceptives (although I was told to book a double appointment as it was for both of us). He had his injections at 8 weeks but no checks at all - was just done by the nurse and was out again within about 5 minutes - not seen by a doctor x

Didn't you have a postnatal 6wk check? I've given birth 5 times and always been booked for a 6wks postnatal check with Dr, who may have briefly asked about baby but always examined me....tummy, blood pressure etc.

The baby's 1st check after being discharged from midwives has always been an 8wk check which is printed in my red book and includes the 1st imms???????????

Here in Birmingham, sounds the same as Sam's Mum..

Morgan had her full check-up at 6 weeks at the HV clinic, with a paediatrician.... Then had her 1st jabs with the nurse at the GP surgery at 8 weeks (and in and out in 10 mins... jabs only, no health check).

I should've had a 6-week postnatal check, however, there always seemed to be a problem with the nurse and it was cancelled by the surgery 3 times!!! I eventually had it at 11 weeks, and had to be squeezed in with my GP, and as he's male, and no nurse on site, he didn't do a check of my lady bits!!! :dohh: Bit of a waste of time in all honesty!!

they checked kira over didn't bother with me, asked me two questions about me and that was it

Didn't you have a postnatal 6wk check? I've given birth 5 times and always been booked for a 6wks postnatal check with Dr, who may have briefly asked about baby but always examined me....tummy, blood pressure etc.

The baby's 1st check after being discharged from midwives has always been an 8wk check which is printed in my red book and includes the 1st imms???????????

The midwife examined me at home after I gave birth - felt my tummy etc - but that would only have been in the first 2 weeks or less. Sam was only checked at 6 weeks as they won't see a doctor when they go for immunisations, and I was told to book a double appointment at 6 weeks (they checked him thoroughly then) so we could both be seen. She did start by talking about me and asking if I was concerned about anything but maybe it's just because I said I felt fine that I didn't get a physical exam. I'd had blood pressure checked by my HV not that long before (well, maybe 3 weeks before!) My doctor has been great though so I assume it's just standard there if you don't have any concerns - she's a mum herself, has breastfed etc so her advice has been brilliant with us since then too x

Ahhhhhhhhh....I was worried they didn't bother checking the mums out at all:dohh:....I misunderstood sorry:blush:

In my surgery, the six week check is for the mums - they check things like stitches and how you are feeling. For babies, they do an eight week check (they check things like weight, height, bone structure etc).

xxx

It was definitely an appointment for Poppy as it came addresed to her! I will check with the HV when I go to clinic next week and see how important she thinks it is. If not, I will just wait until December for the next appointment.

Thanks for your help ladies. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->