I need some advice! BFing & TTC?

ashleyg

Mama to three
Reaction score
Hi mommas! I have a sort of BF related question that I'd love some advice on.

I had my daughter 4 months ago and my husband and I have been talking about trying for baby #2 when our daughter is around 9-11months old. So around June to August. We still have stuff to work out but we've been talking about this for awhile.

I'm currently BFing and I'm planning on still doing it while TTC #2. But I still haven't gotten my period yet and everything I've read says that you need to get your period for a few months to make it easier to conceive. So I have no idea if it's going to take awhile for me to get pregnant or not. But I'm really hoping it doesn't.

Is it really that hard to get pregnant while BFing? Is there anything I should be doing now to try and prepare for trying in a few months? Do I need a period to conceive?? Sorry for all the questions but I have no idea about any of this!

Your period will let you know that you have started ovulating again, so you will probably ovulate before your first period but it's impossible to know when that is exactly. I think once you have had your period for a few months, it's easier to predict when you are ovulating, thus making conception easier. That and the first few cycles can be irregular.

I got my period back around 4 months pp. But some ppl can bf without a period the entire time. It's really difficult to predict.

You *mostly* only get a period because you have ovulated. Breastfeeding can/does suppress ovulation- and from what I read, nighttime feeding is what really suppresses ovulation. it is possible to still ovulate though (and ultimately then get a period)- it might just be irregular.. or take a lot of time to return. Every woman is different..my mom never had a period/ovulated until after she weaned (which was 15 months for me) but my SIL had her period return after around 8 months of nursing and is now pregnant again and still nursing her 1 yo.

I'm also 4 months into nursing and no sign of my period returning anytime soon- it's a little unnerving! Especially bc I haven't gotten around to getting back on birth control :-X

Thanks for your responses! How funny, a hour or two after I posted this, I got my period! So I guess that answers my question lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->