I need some major Christmas help and advice.....

DanielleM

Reaction score
My eldest turned 11 in August and started high school in September. Here is the thing, he still 100% still believes in Father Christmas, my mum! nan and husband all say that I need to tell him the truth that he is in high school now he will get picked on if he still believes in Father Christmas. I feel like the grinch and have no idea what to tell him or how? I need help :cry: :cry:

my mum sat me down and told me when I started academy at 12. im glad she did tbh as I would have hate to be picked on for being the kods who still believed.
she sat me down and told me then said we still all belueve in santa as he makes everything xmassy but the presents are from them. what a sad day that was!

Yeah I think now might be the time to tell him but here's an idea tell him now that he's older and now knows the truth you really would like his help to keep the magic alive for his little brother maybe say to him he can come back up after his brothers in bed on Christmas eve to sit with you and his dad for an hour or 30 mins let him have 1 of his gifts. sit the milk and cookies out for santa but let him have them maybe that way it will sti,, feel special to him but in a more grown up way xx

Awh bless him! I don't really know what to advise but good luck x

Yeah I think now might be the time to tell him but here's an idea tell him now that he's older and now knows the truth you really would like his help to keep the magic alive for his little brother maybe say to him he can come back up after his brothers in bed on Christmas eve to sit with you and his dad for an hour or 30 mins let him have 1 of his gifts. sit the milk and cookies out for santa but let him have them maybe that way it will sti,, feel special to him but in a more grown up way xx

I like this idea :)

Thanks girls definitely need to have a chat with him :cry:

I think that's spot on. :thumbup:
It is sad. :( But you might find that, actually, he doesn't really believe, but was just carrying on out of habit?

I'm in the same boat, ds is 11, just started high school, pretty certain he believes, hes never said otherwise!
Sometimes parenting challenges are not at all what I thought they'd be!!

This is a good idea. I plan to let DS1 'be santa' when he is old enough not to believe. I'll let him eat the cookies and things.
Presents will always be laid out once all kids are asleep though so they don't have chance to guess any shape or anything before the morning xx

My Dad sat me down and explained it to me when I was 8 (though I'd known for a couple of years because I found out by accident), but the way he told me was lovely.
He went through the history of St Nicholas and how the whole Father Christmas thing began, then said something like "of course, no-one lives forever, and eventually it was time for St Nicholas to hand down the important job of Father Christmas to every Dad in the world. And every year we put on our big red suit (which, tbf, he did every year), and deliver the presents to our children. This is a very special secret and only big kids get to know, so now you can help to keep it going for *little sister* until she's old enough to know".

I really loved his explanation, and it made me feel so grown up!

My Dad sat me down and explained it to me when I was 8 (though I'd known for a couple of years because I found out by accident), but the way he told me was lovely.
He went through the history of St Nicholas and how the whole Father Christmas thing began, then said something like "of course, no-one lives forever, and eventually it was time for St Nicholas to hand down the important job of Father Christmas to every Dad in the world. And every year we put on our big red suit (which, tbf, he did every year), and deliver the presents to our children. This is a very special secret and only big kids get to know, so now you can help to keep it going for *little sister* until she's old enough to know".

Aww! Thats lovely!! X

That's adorable.

I think it depends on his personality? I came home from school and asked my mum about it at 10 after some kids in my class said he didn't exist (although most still believed) and she told me the truth. I would still have believed if she'd told me he was real though (particularly as the kids who didn't believe were a*sholes and I thought maybe they were just too bad to get presents :dohh: ) and it wouldn't have fazed me at all if other kids thought I was wrong, I would just have felt sorry for them lol! :haha:

I wish she'd let it go on a bit longer, but better to tell the truth when they ask than leave them feeling lied to and unable to trust you. Does he have no idea? I'm amazed my 7 year old hasn't twigged the amount of time he spends on Youtube and Google!

Try watching 'Yes Virginia There Is A Santa Clause' with him and see if he gets it? Dreading this! :nope:

do you think there's a possibility that he knows but wants to carry on saying he believes to add to the magic of christmas. I don't know when I found out, it just kinda happened over time but I always maintained he was real to my parents and they played along. I knew he wasn't and didn't say anything to kids at school and to be honest no-one really talked about whether he was real or not - I think kids just assume you know. At home we always said he was real etc because we all just loved the christmas build up. It's a hard one :hugs:

I really love some of the ideas on here. My DS found out a few years ago by accident as the kids I nannied (two girls around his age) knew and mentioned it in front of him :shock: He actually cried. My heart broke for him but he was okay after I explained that we need to keep the magic going for his little sister <3 The girls felt so horrible as they thought he knew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->