I need some tips on surviving my shift work and loosing weight.

miss h

Reaction score
Apologies for the long post!!

I have a very spirited young daughter who will be 2 in February. I had to return to work when she was 9 months old and, over a year later I am finding it very difficult to cope.

I work as a receptionist in a place a little bit like a hotel reception. The shifts are 12 hours (6-6) days and nights. Over 80% of my time I work alone and have no official break. The shift pattern is really difficult: 2 days on, 2 days off, 3 days on, 2 days off, 2 days on 3 days off and then the same as night shift. I cannot sleep and cannot leave the work area for any longer than 15 mins at a time as key pieces of equipment need to be monitored or if people need to be checked in. To be honest most of my time is spent watching a crappy tv and surfing areas of the internet not blocked by the company (no games for me). I am sure that sounds great to some people but, believe me, after a couple of months it becomes mind numbingly dull.

I have always worked in busy, high-pressure environments and thrived in them. I have a degree and even my manager has told me I am wasted in this job. We have a mortgage, debts (from maternity leave) and stuff so not being in work is not an option... needless to say I am desperately trying to find a new job.

My husband also does shift work so we don't get to see each other too much. My dad is great and has my daughter most of the time (she has 1/2 day in nursery once a week because I desperately wanted her to go but cannot afford any more). Sometimes when both my husband and I are working she can be round my dads house for 3 days and nights straight with us popping in just to see her. However dad was recently diagnosed with early onset alzheimer's so not sure how long this arrangement can last.

Since getting back to work I have put on nearly 4 1/2 stone in weight and barely recognise myself any more. I find that the only way of getting through a night shift is to eat and fruit/salads just upset my stomach. I am constantly tired, have no desire to go out with friends and family (partly due to the tiredness, partly due to the weight thing and partly due to the fact that we have no money) I have even stopped wearing make up to work!!!! I do cycle to work as and when I can and on days off I am active with my daughter even though I feel exhausted.

I am on a low dose of antidepressants but cannot really go on anything higher as I have bipolar.

Right now I have another cold and feel like crap. I applied for a wonderful job a few weeks ago that I would be amazing at but not heard anything from them. I couldn't be with my daughter for her first Christmas day last year as I was working and I am just feeling so shit about it all.

Sorry for the rant..:cry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->