I should've been dead..?!

xKaa

Reaction score
And I don't know what to believe anymore..

On the 11th of April, I gave birth to a beautiful little lazy girl (lazy because they had to induce me with 42+1 weeks:winkwink: )
Because of an epidural, I couldn't feel the contractions, so when I had the urge to push, I pushed. And it only took 20 minutes to push her out. But the bleeding after delivering the placenta didn't stop. My BP raised from being 115/65 (normal) to 140/88, temperature raised from being 36.8 (normal) to 38.9.. They couldn't see a tear so they rushed me to theater since the bleeding didn't stop at all. The blood came out as water, but I didn't faint at all. I was just really really scared that I wouldn't make it, looking at OH and my just born daughter. I kept on saying "I am going to die, arent I.." this because, however I didn't feel like losing any blood, I honestly thought my body was just lying to me feeling alright..

So they rushed me to theater, higher up the dose of epidural so they wouldn't have to put me asleep during the check up. They put me on the bed and checked, I felt it and saw it but without any pain. I still felt that they were busy though..I felt them putting in stitches and trying to stop my uterus from bleeding (what worked by the way) and then..I heard them saying "She will never be able to have sex again" and they stopped. I asked them what happened and they kept on saying "we will tell you later.." Apparently, it took them 2 hours to stitch everything up and everything went better than expected. Only a tiny small tear, damage to skin only. But..I lost 2.5 liters of blood and my iron levels dropped to 6.5
The weird thing? I felt fine. Not dizzy or whatsoever.

They offered me a blood transfusion, saying it wasn't urgent but it would help, I said yes but didn't got one 24 hours later. They kept on checking my temperature (that dropped to normal after 2 hours again) and my BP (last time they checked it was 100/58) and even though my body was fine, I was trapped in bed, unable to hold my LO whenever she cried and it felt terrible. They made me feel terrible by saying I was doing an awful job because I couldn't manage to bf..

After 2 days I selfdischarged from the hospital with LO because I was feeling just fine and I didn't want to be there anymore.
My stitches were comfy, bowels open, no urge of vomiting or whatsoever.
But, I asked around and they all said that with an HB of 6.5, your organs fail on you and losing 2.5 liters of blood, I should've been or dead or at least fainted when I lost it. But I feel fine. I honestly feel fine. And I still think my body is lying to me, or that there's still some painkiller in my body (is that possible, after 8 days??) my bloodloss was as a normal period in the 2nd day already and I got my stitches etc checked yesterday and it's healing fine, just a little bit of jelly (sorry for details) blood around the stitches, but according to my GP thats completely normal. So how come that I feel just fine?

Im sorry for the long story, but it really really scares me :( I am trying my hardest to stay out off the hospital so I can care of LO myself, making up for the first 24 hours where I couldn't stand up myself and give her the love she deserves:cry:

Also, I got an antibiotic cure that stops today, is it possible that after today, I get loads of pain and infections? That, right now, the antibiotic is taking it all away and my body will fail to do it on its own?

So sorry you had that experience, how awful! I bled after my first delivery (didn't need theatre stitches though, they stopped it without) and had a blood count of 7 and I did faint but I didn't faint until I stood up (had no epi) just after the birth. If you were in bed, it's unlikely you would feel faint. Once I had my first transfusion I felt better pretty much straight away so if you have had a transfusion it brings your blood count up really quickly so you feel much better very quickly.
Please don't worry, everyone is different in how their body copes with trauma. Enjoy your lovely baby X.

It could be adrenaline from the whole experience making you feel fine, what a horrible experience though :(

*hugs* sorry you had such a scary experience

I think it's just the way your body works (can deal with heavy blood loss, etc) and that you are completely fine. I'd count myself lucky and enjoy my new baby :)

Wish you all the best!

Got my ironlevels checked and it went up from 6.5 to 8.8 in less than a week :D It's still bleeding down under, but no pain (or severe pain) and lo is doing fine :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->