I think DD has weaned

Tacey

Reaction score
I've thought this before - actually about this time last year when she stopped nursing for a couple of months before restarting. This time though, I think I'm going to decide for her. My cycle has started up again, and I don't enjoy nursing her, even though it's once a day.

A friend of hers had his 'weaning party' last week, and it's put the idea in her head (and she wants a party!). I suggested that last night would be her final nursing session, and she agreed.

It was so peaceful and special. As she nursed, I told her all about her very first feed, and thanked her for showing me how to do it. I told her about all the funny positions she nursed in, and how she used to ask for it. I told her how much she'd fed, and how much she needed it, and reassured her that although she still has those needs, we can meet them in different ways now. I counted her down to stop, she unlatched and we had a cuddle and both cried a bit.

It feels like the right time for both of us, even though she would have continued. Last time, I found the whole thing upsetting, even though I thought I'd wanted her to stop. This time, it feels right.

Thank you for all the support I've received here. It really has been invaluable. And for anyone wondering about nursing longer than the norm - go for it, it's awesome!

Aww this made me cry! :cry: Congratulations on such a long nursing journey, you're such an inspiration! :)

I'm tearful now,too. Your journey with Alice is really special.

Thanks all! No mention from her about it at all today, except for a really big tight cuddle at bedtime. It feels like the best sort of ending either of us could have hoped for :cloud9:

Its nice that she's so happy about it. A "weaning party" sounds a lovely idea.

That is so touching. So many memories & precious moments you & your lovely girl have created.

Can i also say i've always enjoyed hearing about your breastfeeding journey, so thank you so much for all that you've shared on the forum. It's really been an inspiration for me.

Thanks for sharing this lovely and inspirational journey of yours. You have been amazing in helping out others on this forum. I wanted to wean so badly (and you know that) around 18 months, but something turned in me around November and I just felt like I didnt want to push my son any more. I am now going to let him decide or do it as you have done -with minimal hurt and tears. Thank you again for sharing your experiences and wisdom

I don't even plan on nursing past a year, but this still has me literally crying :')

Thank you for sharing, what a wonderful story <3

You're all so kind, thanks for the lovely words :cloud9:

All is still going pretty well. She's talking about it lots now in little indirect ways. She brought me a doll and a teddy bear and said "My babies don't have 'mukmee' any more either now." When Arthur was nursing she came for a cuddle and he pushed her away. She said "It's OK Arthur, I don't have mukmee any more, I've stopped so that you can have it all." I'm conscious that she needs more cuddles than before as generally she's physically unaffectionate, but really, I couldn't have asked for a better conclusion. That helps a lot with the mild guilt that it was my decision. I've always told other people that it's a relationship that needs to work two ways, and I should take my own advice!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->