I want this to work this time!

auntiesarah25

Reaction score
I'm pregnant with baby #2. My beautiful daughter is 8 months and this pregnancy came as a giant surprise :dohh: Anyways with DD my milk didn't come in until day 5. She was in very poor health, jaundice, was difficult to wake, even stripping her down barely roused her. So day 3 we gave her formula.

I was naive. I admit it. I wasn't ready for my milk to come in. I had no clue that my boobs were going to get so full so fast. So I tried for a few days to bf. DD wasn't having any of it and I was frustrated and sore and looking back I can admit I wasn't giving it my all. So we bought a pump since my insurance company was giving me a run around. It was a single electric. I didn't know that the wic program helps get pumps and has loaners. So there I was pumping one boob at a time with this craptastic pump. I was miserable. I was getting about an ounce per breast every few hours.

I gave up. Quickly. The pump I had was awful and didn't fit me well. :nope:

This time around I've got determination and I know what to expect - mostly. I plan to pump only. My question is does milk come in faster with second pregnancy? Is it all up to my body? Any advice?

Be careful; I pumped exclusively for my son Kai and had a very hard time keeping up my supply. I had emergency surgery an hour or so after labor, and it caused my milk to come in late. My child, like yours, ended up losing lots of weight and so I started pumping, trying to get him more milk. At the time, I didn't know baby is much more efficient at extracting milk than a pump. But anyway, by then he would only take the bottle. So eventually I was spending hours at a time pumping, trying to keep up my supply and I wasn't getting to bond with Kai like I wanted to. So we ended up switching to formula. I tried exclusively pumping for over a month, but in order to make it work, you have to pump at least 8-10 times a day, at least 2 times in the night. We're happier now, but I still very much regret that I didn't work harder at breastfeeding.
If pumping exclusively is what you want to do, it's hard, but possible. Make sure you have a great electric double pump and a comfortable place to pump. Good luck!

I think it's great you are going to give it a go after having a tough time last time!

With DD1 my milk came in around day 5, she was also jaundiced but I had good advice and just kept on feeding until it came in, there was a lot of feeding but then things got better! When it did come in baby found it hard to latch but I tried a bit of hand expressing before latching and found the rugby hold worked great when I was engorged. This only lasted a couple of days :thumbup:

I think my milk came a day earlier with DD 2 and I was prepared for engorgement so it was much easier.

Is there a reason you prefer just to pump, only say that as I find pumping way harder than feeding directly?

Day 5 milk came in here also, everything you mentioned is fairly common, best thing I did was research and educate myself. That plus determination = breastfeeding for a year.

Xx

My milk was day 3 first time, day 4 second time. The only thing you can do is put baby to breast as often as possible in those early days. My first loved feeding/sucking a lot more despite much worse jaundice, which I'm guessing brought my milk in sooner.

I think it's great you are going to give it a go after having a tough time last time!

With DD1 my milk came in around day 5, she was also jaundiced but I had good advice and just kept on feeding until it came in, there was a lot of feeding but then things got better! When it did come in baby found it hard to latch but I tried a bit of hand expressing before latching and found the rugby hold worked great when I was engorged. This only lasted a couple of days :thumbup:

I think my milk came a day earlier with DD 2 and I was prepared for engorgement so it was much easier.

Is there a reason you prefer just to pump, only say that as I find pumping way harder than feeding directly?

I'm not sure on the exclusive part yet. I should say majority at least. That way OH can take some feedings and I can leave the kiddos with their gramma and such if OH and I get a chance to get out alone!

Honestly, baby will drain the breast so much better than a pump, leaving you less prone to issues. Would you be open to exclusively feed while your supply builds and then introduce some pumping?

I was rabidly determined this time too and it was hard but now we're through the most difficult time. You can do it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->