I want to book for home but....

Celesse

Reaction score
.... I think I'd run out of gas and air.

So ignoring the fact I've had a previous C-Section, and then a VBAC forceps which resulted in a PPH, retained products and operation at 4weeks post partum part of me still really wants a home birth. I reckon if I'm at home chances are I'd avoid those bad things happening again.

But I suck at the pain part of labour. I had an epidural with #1 at about 5cm cos she was getting distressed. With #2 I had a fairly long latent stage and I needed to use the gas and air to stand up to get into established labour, and was pretty much glued to the Gas and Air. I've moved areas but my previous area only provided you with about 2 hours worth of gas, which wouldn't have been enough in my previous labour.

Oh...and I screamed so much I needed OH to buy me throat sweets the next day.

What to do? I've a week until booking. Last two labours I've "negotiated" a lot of stuff, but I feel I need to stick to my guns this time..... but I don't really know what my guns are??!

If you want to try for a home birth and feel comfortable with it, then do it. More than likely, you'll find the pain a lot easier to cope with in your own space, especially if you plan to use other methods to cope (I just used TENS and natal hypnotherapy and never even needed the gas and air). I know where I live, they send you home with 2 full canisters of gas and air. I have no idea how long that would last, but surely you wouldn't want anymore than that as it would probably make you sick. I doubt they'd want you to have a third in hospital either. There's no harm trying, assuming you feel healthy and comfortable with it. If it comes down to it and in the midst of your long latent stage you change your mind, you can always go into hospital. But if you get to hospital and wish you weren't there, it's a lot harder to take yourself home.

I went through a ridiculous amount of gas and air, about 10 canisters, maybe even more, but I was in established labour (5cam+) at home for over 15 hours. They kept sending people back to the hospital for more canisters. My OH said afterwards our front garden looked like a canister graveyard!

Maybe ask your community midwife how it works? They were absolutely fine about bringing me more from the hospital.

We are pretty close to the hospital, like 5 mins away. And if I went down the HB route I'd probably have OH, mum and a doula there, with my dad looking after the kids. So chances I reckon if they were happy, there would be plenty of people there to go for a quick drive!

I think I need to investigate a TENS machine, especially for early part of labour.

I went through loads with my hospital birth (literally never took it out my mouth so 10 or so hours, my throat was very sore/dry after! ) but didn't need any with my homebirth. It was just a different feeling more relaxed and I felt much more in control x

I've made contact with a doula who has a birth pool to rent. I think I really need to do some proper investigation into hypnobirthing as well. Anything to stop the blood curdling screaming.

I cried for the epi at 4cm with #1... and didn't cry for it until pushing out #2 after 12 hours back to back... I promise, the pain is nowhere as bad when you are at home. I really do think there is some form of pain relief just being in your own surroundings and shower. I didn't even use G&A or the sterile water injections. I think I was on G&A by 2cm in the hospital LOL.

You'll be fine, I promise there is no comparison!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->