I want to know what you moms think about this!

Armywife2007

MOther of 2!! TTC #3
Reaction score
Me and my hubby just got in a huge fight about something that i dont think matters.
My youngest sister likes to paint her fingernails and my oldest (he is 5) thinks its cool so he asks her to paint his to! She is also a pageant winner and has several crowns and sashes that he likes to play with! She sent me a pic this weekend with him standing next to a trophy that is as tall as him with a crown on his head and a sash on his shoulder, all in fun. My husband freaked! He believes that this kind of stuff will turn him gay and may possibly embaress him later in life. Mind you my 5 year old is ALL about guns, spiderman and anything else that little boys like! I really do not see the big deal in this but he is dead set in his mindset! Also here is the other thing putting a girl in blues, greens or dressing them in boys clothes isnt as big a deal. For me its all very stereotypish, sexist BS and that is what makes me mad!

So what do you think?

I would be mad too.ohs dad is a lot like this and you can see him internally freaking out whenever ds pushes around the girls toy prams or is holding a doll.my oh used to be a bit worried about that sort thing but since lo is such a boyish little boy that when I put a crown on his head oh just laughs.kids like playing with things they don't get to play with very often that's why lo is excited being let loose in Dds room.making them feel ashamed for playing or wanting to play with girly things however WILL make them think there is something wrong with them

I've had similar issues with DH. He's more relaxed about it now though.

DS loves girly stuff. Anything pink and he's all over it. He also went through a phase of being very interested in my make-up. DH was convinced this would cause him to be gay.

It's a very silly thing to thing because loads of kids do it. Boys with sisters often play with their dolls. What ever happened to letting them be themselves and if in the end they are gay... it's not like the world will come to an end.

Just try to ignore him. If it's going to cause arguments then try to keep the girly activities to a minimum when your OH is around. I'm sure in time he will see it's just normal childhood curiosity.

Just ignore it, kids have to explore, he'll probably get bored of it soon and its a faze, i think its better to let kids find their own way :)

Little boys like to play dress up just like little girls do. They are too little to really differentiate looking pretty and looking handsome :D My little one begs me to paint his nails. They just want to be like someone they obviously adore. However; DH freaks out about it as well. So I only paint his nails with clear polish, lol. It's sort of a compromise. I think it's a man thing.

My son used to get his nails painted, dress up in turus nd dress-up dresses, wear barretts in his hair...he doesn't now...nor does he show ny signs of being gay...not that I would care. I always wanted another son. You can't MAKE someone gay...they either are, or they are not.

My 5 year old adores having his nails painted OH hates it, sounds like alot of OH's dont like it!!

I think most men are like this........Now me if I would of got that picture it would of been on facebook lol

Sorry but I think your husband is an idiot if he thinks that your son may be 'turned' gay

My biggest problem with that comment if it came from mine would be what if in the long term one of the kids were gay? What's the problem? I would hate to think of my kids not being able to be true to themselves because of their father who was anti gay

Im glad im not the only one!! it really is a ridiculus thing to argue about and to think that things like this could turn him gay is laughable!! O well ill just continue to think the way i do lol! And isnt a parents job to embaress our kids once in awhile!! My mom did and still does! shoot she can even embaress my OH lol!!! i think its just life! We would have never babied our kids back in the day!!

LOL

Ok i had this exact thing happen not long ago, except my son who is 4 has an obsession with high heels...too many times he was clobbering around the house in mine and i was petrified that he was going to hurt himself or break my heels....

For Christmas i bought him some of those girls play heeled shoes, lol, one was pink the other purple...he wore them for a bit before the husband got them, cut them, threw them in the bin....

Im also an army wife, well ex-army....maybe its a squddies man thing,.....

x

I don't see this as a bad thing either. When my oldest was 2, I was painting my toenails, and he wanted his painted too, so I did it. My husband freaked out! I refused to take it off, and we ended up going to hubby's uncle's house, where his cousin saw it. She looked at me like I had locked DS in the basement and didn't feed him for a month!

He was just being curious, and as small children do, he wanted to imitate one of his role models. (Me.) Someone else mentioned that your son may have just liked the crown/sash because it was something he didn't normally get to play with.

Two children later, (2 boys 1 girl) my kids all get together and play house, with dolls. I see no harm in it whatsoever. You can't "make" someone gay. Luckily my hubby has calmed down on the issue...

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->