IBS developed since pregnancy

Happy

Mummy to Phoebe
Reaction score
I've just been diagnosed with IBS by my doctor and prescribed Mebeverine tablets to help with it. I never really suffered with anything like this before I was pregnant but since having Phoebe my stomach has been a nightmare. I dont really have constipation its more often than not diarreah. It tends to happen in the middle of the night and my stomach makes such loud noises before I really have to go, I get a terrible pain under my left rib which feels like trapped wind. It probably happens once a week but for the rest of the time I feel bloted and I can feel trapped wind inside me as my stomach gurgles.

I haven't changed my diet at all so I have no idea whats causing this although my GP seems to think its the hormone changes, its getting me down now and Im getting scared to eat incase it sets it off again. :cry:

Hugs

I have IBS too. I try to eat light things..and it helps.
I hope the pain eases for u!!

Ibs is usualy set off by certain foods or stress.

Things that set me off are coffee, and fresh chillis.

hey hunny i got diagnosed post natal too. It developed at the same time as my PND so im thinking its stress but i did find eating little and often really helped. I know what you mean though :hugs: if i get an episode before we go out im reluctant and scared to leave the house! xx

I suffered really badly before I was pregnant and took Mebeverine but had to stop taking it when pregnant. I suffered up until about 22weeks then it went. I still get bursts of it but it seems under control so I've put it down to the breastfeeding hormones so I'd say your hormones probably did set it off.

Wheat was my trigger. Try elimminating the usual suspects one by one - wheat, dairy, alcohol, caffeine, spicy foods. Like a week each and see if any of them are related.

I have tried eliminating wheat, alcohol and spicy foods so far but no luck. Does anyone know if the pill makes it worse? I went back on the pill in June and since then it seems to have become worse.

I suffered from IBS for years before my pregnancies and it wasn't pleasant. I had the problem that I would bloat after everything I would eat, would look 9 months pregnant and wouldn't be able to go to the washroom for days. So uncomfortable.

I was put on tablets after finding a doctor who finally took me seriously. Strangely, pregnancy cured it.

Sorry you have it hon and hope that the tablets do help you. :hugs:

I have tried eliminating wheat, alcohol and spicy foods so far but no luck. Does anyone know if the pill makes it worse? I went back on the pill in June and since then it seems to have become worse.

That's an interesting question. As I said in my previous post, pregnancy cured mine but I wonder if it's because since then I haven't been on the pill whereas I had been on it for almost 15 years prior.

That's an interesting question. As I said in my previous post, pregnancy cured mine but I wonder if it's because since then I haven't been on the pill whereas I had been on it for almost 15 years prior.

This is what I am wondering. I had to go on a new pill as the one I was on before I was pregnant didn't agree with me once I had Phoebe. Its since then I have had problems. I've just had my pill free week and had no problems whatso ever, I have now been back on it 2 days and guess what....my stomach is going mad.

Interesting and I've never even thought of it.

I would bring it up with your doctor hon. :hugs:

I'm going to see my doctor on Monday so I will mention it then. I'll let you know what she says.

I have had problems and am going in after annalysis on 13th to see if they think I have it. My mother suffers with ibs really badly and has had to ajust her diet since being diagonsed 15 years ago after a really bad bout of food poisining.

I had been having diarrheoa for approx 2 days before my period started for the last 2 months before I fell pregnant, I also had it through my pregnancy and hoped it would clear up after I'd had my lo, but it's got worse. I have had a few tests done and as I say diagnosis will be given on 13th. I have been recommended a book that you can get from the library and have it written down somewhere,will post the name when I find the piece of paper.

I went to see my GP this morning and told her I thought the pill might be causing my IBS to become worse. Turns out the pill i'm on has a higher level of progesterone which can affect the lining of your bowels!! She say it wasn't likely but that it could be due to this!!

Needless to say I am now back on my old pill and I hope this works.

Hope it was the pill and that everything goes back to normal, hon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->