IBS

Purplehippo

Reaction score
Does anyone else suffer from this and how have you coped in pregnancy?

I'm at end of my tether, I never suffered before from it, but boy do I now :cry: I go from awful stomach ache in lower stomach (just above bikini line) for days to the point it hurts to turn over or get out bed, to extremely loose BM that make all of My stomach hurt. I have buscopan to take but I don't like to keep taking that, I just wondered if anyone could give me any tips ?

Thanks xx

Do you find it gets any worse after eating certain foods? For me wheat and gluten can really set off my IBS. I suffer from an 'attack' if I eat pork, which is so painful :(. I have cut out of my diet (for other reasons but has helped my IBS) dairy which has made a difference and reduce the amount of wheat/gluten I have. I also avoid caffeine and fizzy drinks which seem to have a good affect on my IBS too.

I don't have any other real coping tips though really as I'm kind of a marter and just 'put up with it' :(.

Ox

I've had it since I was 11 but since my early 20s it's been much more manageable. Mine tends to present itself worst as cramps that come in waves and dont relieve normally until I get diarrhoea. I also at times cycle from days of constipation to those bouts of diarrhoea. I find a hot water bottle helps with the waves of cramps but my main thing is just to wait for it to pass. To be honest yours sounds a bit too constant to be IBS are you sure?x

Do you find it gets any worse after eating certain foods? For me wheat and gluten can really set off my IBS. I suffer from an 'attack' if I eat pork, which is so painful :(. I have cut out of my diet (for other reasons but has helped my IBS) dairy which has made a difference and reduce the amount of wheat/gluten I have. I also avoid caffeine and fizzy drinks which seem to have a good affect on my IBS too.

I don't have any other real coping tips though really as I'm kind of a marter and just 'put up with it' :(.

Ox

Yeah my trigger is milk!

I've had it since I was 11 but since my early 20s it's been much more manageable. Mine tends to present itself worst as cramps that come in waves and dont relieve normally until I get diarrhoea. I also at times cycle from days of constipation to those bouts of diarrhoea. I find a hot water bottle helps with the waves of cramps but my main thing is just to wait for it to pass. To be honest yours sounds a bit too constant to be IBS are you sure?x

I don't know, that's what hosp diagnosed me as when I went into maternity triage month or so ago when I was complaining about stomach ache and constipation and also the opposite.

No idea what my triggers are, seems to just happen whatever can't say I notice anything particular :cry:

Maybe try a really bland diet for a week or two? Are you taking anything that you weren't before like vitamins or iron or something? Just seems a bit weird if you have never had it before!

I'm still taking increased folic acid and I take iron every other day. Also thurs my thyroxine was increased. But otherwise nothing else :cry:

Mine has gotten worse in this preg:-( i get cramps that are horrific, then i have the "d" word. After that i feel pretty normal. It happens at random times, although i can go weeks with nothing and then a week where i have symptoms like every other day. If i do get constipated i know an episode is coming! I dont notice any particular food, although i think gluten might have something to do with it, as i can only eat certain types of pizza etc. Hopefully itll get better after baby comes out! With my previous preg, i didnt have any episodes after twelve weeks.

Mine has gotten worse in this preg:-( i get cramps that are horrific, then i have the "d" word. After that i feel pretty normal. It happens at random times, although i can go weeks with nothing and then a week where i have symptoms like every other day. If i do get constipated i know an episode is coming! I dont notice any particular food, although i think gluten might have something to do with it, as i can only eat certain types of pizza etc. Hopefully itll get better after baby comes out! With my previous preg, i didnt have any episodes after twelve weeks.

Yours sounds like mine, constipated for days (does it hurt at that time?) then a bout of very loose BM :cry:

I've had it since I was a child, and it's never been fun to deal with. The stomach pain/cramps get so bad that sometimes I feel like passing out. I was referred to see someone about it but was told there's nothing she can do for me while pregnant. Best advice I can give is to stay hydrated and try to avoid trigger foods. Nothing else really helps I'm afraid. :nope:

Probiotics. IBS is normally caused by a bacterial imbalance in the gut, which you can help by taking probiotics. I take Culturelle everyday and I couldn't function without it!

Yours sounds like mine, constipated for days (does it hurt at that time?) then a bout of very loose BM :cry:

No cramps until i go. But then it starts as normal and then turns loose. The cramps are really bad, i sweat and even feel a bit nausous :-(

Currently in maternity triage as I was still in pain after buscopan and paracetamol waiting to see doc beanie been on monitor and fine x

Hun, I just want to send you :hugs: as I feel your pain. I discovered a gluten intolerance 18 mths ago and had suffered with it with IBS type symptoms for years...in the end to the point where I was bent over with severe pains often.
I bought peppermint capsules (from Holland & Berrett) as I read they gave relief for anyone suffering intolerance to foods and IBS.....you would need to check with your mw or gyno if you can take it in pregnancy or not.

https://www.nhs.uk/news/2008/11November/Pages/Peppermintsoothesirritablebowel.aspx

GL x

I hope your ok!

When I was diagnosed I was told that IBS can either be diarrhoea orientated or constipation, but it was possible to have diarrhoea/constipation alternatively although less common.

Mines the same, I can go from really bad constipation to diarrhoea in one sitting!

Ox

Try to figure out your trigger foods...mine is cheese. Mine has definatly gotten worse this pregnancy, though it has been better since I hit 3rd trimester. During my 1st and 2nd everytime I had a bowel movement it was IBS...

Good ole IBS...My triggers are heavy cream, anything overly fatty and a lot of caffeine.

There are ways to help...I went to my osteopath who adjusted my bowels to help things flow better and I also take a acidopholis probiotic daily to keep things regular. It works wonders!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->