I'd love a homebirth, but....

Tryingfora4th

Reaction score
I've needed the drip (synotcin is it? its been so long I cant remember) to help my contractions with every birth.
First labour didnt progress, baby was in distress so they gave me the drip to bring things on, turned out the cord was wrapped tightly around her neck.
Second labour was fully induced.
Third labour, waters went at 37 weeks but contractions didnt start so had to be started artificially.

What are the chances of having a natural birth at home after these 3 labours?
Do you need to tell the midwife at booking in?

Every pregnancy is different and every birth is different. The midwife will definitly want to know you're history when booking but I feel based on what you said you're still a fine candidate for home birth as nothing that happened in your previous birth puts you at risk this time around.

First off, labours actually tend to progress better at home and there have been several studies which have shown that women who plan to stay at home are much less likely to need to go to the hospital for oxytocin (syntocin) to boost their contractions... Also, having the cord around the neck is actually very common (about 40% of babies) and midwives are well trained in how to manage them so that's not an issue either.

As for being induced if labour does not begin on it's own... Well that's something that is highly variable... some women always go before their due date, some always go after their due date and some have a few of their kids before and a few after... There's no rhyme or reason to it.. so if you want to have a homebirth plan for it (and really there's not much planning or supplies needed) and then go from there... I'd also look into alternative induction methods such as evening primrose oil, nipple stimulation, castor oil etc as the due date gets closer.. btw why were you induced last time??? Were you postdates or did they have a concern for baby....

And in regards to your Prelabour rupture of membranes. different midwives have different rules as to how long they feel comfortable waiting... ofcourse in reality it's completely up to you... Also, did you try things like nipple stimulation after your water's broke to get things moving???

Thanks for the reply!

My labour was induced 2nd time as I'd gone 2 weeks overdue and there was no sign of my son even thinking about making an appearance lol, and with my 3rd we waited 24 hours for contractions to start but nothing happened, I didnt do anything to try to make them start other than go for a long walk on the beach. I didnt really know any tricks to try.

My 1st was 10 days over due and weighed 7lb 10, my 2nd was 15 days (iirc) it was def 2 weeks anyway, he weighed 7lb 10 too, and my 3rd was 3 weeks early, she weighed 7lb 8.

Its still early days, my 8 week booking in appointment is in 2 weeks so I'll talk to the midwife about it, well I think I better talk to OH about it first! haha

xxx

My first birth was induced for high blood pressure and gestational diabetes...fear that baby would get too big?? He weighed 6lbs and 14oz and was 21 inches long...looked like noodle.

My second birth was a homebirth and it was amazing. I loved my midwife she really helped me to eat right and I never had any of the health issues I had with my first pregnancy. As stated before every pregnancy is different.

I am right now trying to decide on where I want to give birth. It would be very difficult to go back and birth in a hospital after having a homebirth. I loved the freedom to do what felt right and being able to really follow my instincts. Also being in a familiar environment definately makes for a more relaxed situation.

I work as an RN in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and I get so sick of hearing people at work bash homebirth. I've gotten to where i just leave the room. It is really unfortunate that the view of birth is so skewed and so many people so misinformed. Good Luck in your decision.
I feel and this is just my opinion that where ever you will feel the most comfortable and safe is your best choice. If you are afraid and terrified having a baby at home then that may not be a good choice but if the hospital experience was a fearful and unpleasant experience then a homebirth or if they have birthcenters maybe that would be a better choice. :hugs: It is a frustrating decision to make. But at least we still have time:)

Every pregnancy is different and every birth is different. The midwife will definitly want to know you're history when booking but I feel based on what you said you're still a fine candidate for home birth as nothing that happened in your previous birth puts you at risk this time around.

First off, labours actually tend to progress better at home and there have been several studies which have shown that women who plan to stay at home are much less likely to need to go to the hospital for oxytocin (syntocin) to boost their contractions... Also, having the cord around the neck is actually very common (about 40% of babies) and midwives are well trained in how to manage them so that's not an issue either.

As for being induced if labour does not begin on it's own... Well that's something that is highly variable... some women always go before their due date, some always go after their due date and some have a few of their kids before and a few after... There's no rhyme or reason to it.. so if you want to have a homebirth plan for it (and really there's not much planning or supplies needed) and then go from there... I'd also look into alternative induction methods such as evening primrose oil, nipple stimulation, castor oil etc as the due date gets closer.. btw why were you induced last time??? Were you postdates or did they have a concern for baby....

And in regards to your Prelabour rupture of membranes. different midwives have different rules as to how long they feel comfortable waiting... ofcourse in reality it's completely up to you... Also, did you try things like nipple stimulation after your water's broke to get things moving???

just a warning that castor oil can be very dangerous to mother and baby and is not recommended at all to induce labour in the UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->