Ideas for a Back Carrier for Dads?

Rydia

1 Boy & 1 Girl
Reaction score
My OH wants to buy a back carrier to carry my son outdoors. He is looking for one that will be good for long walks on rough ground and for various weather conditions. He would prefer it to look like something a man would wear and not like a woman's carrier. I might use it too-although i have a close carrier that I am happy with. Anyone have any ideas of which carrier we should look into?

He could try the Ergo - looks cool on a man! My OH loves it! there are backpacking carriers with aluminum frames though - those would be best for trekking.

:)
A

Well if he really wants it to look 'manly'then SSC's are good but I personally don't get on with them (find most pull on my shoulders/back - my LO is 8 months old).

You have Beco's, Ergo's, Patapum's...ermmm will think of some more but I actually think a 'Connecta' is great for both men and women to use with no pulling. They are SSC's but based on the design of a Mei Tai with buckles so I think much better (personal opinion though). They come in plain black too so good for both of you! :D

I sell and use Connectas so if you need any advice etc, let me know by PM!

xx

I'd definitely recommend the Little Life range, they are fab!

What's an SSC???

:)
A

LOL - sorry! It's a Soft Structured Carrier. I find a lot of them uncomrtable and so does OH but the Connecta I find brill and unisex too! I can take a pic of my OH wearing a black one if you want?

x

I'd love to see a pic pls :)

I'm interested in this because I've seen lots of the aluminium trekking kind for men with older babies.. but OH wants something from newborn (front carrier) - the problem being, his chest is *at least* 54"

Any recommendations??

I'm interested in this because I've seen lots of the aluminium trekking kind for men with older babies.. but OH wants something from newborn (front carrier) - the problem being, his chest is *at least* 54"

Any recommendations??

I'd definitely recommend the Little Life range, they are fab!

Yep, Little Life carriers are fab - very good lumbar support for the carrier and you can get rain covers, neck pillows etc. Might be worth trying ebay.

Any recommendations??

Sorry I didn't get chance to take a pic yesterday as we were busy but will try and get one asap!

x

Still not got a pic (sorry hun) :blush:

Will try and get one tonight xx

Any recommendations??

Personally, I think that as soon as baby gets very big, he will probably want one with structure to it. The soft ones (no matter how well made) don't distribute the weight to the right places for long hikes on uneven ground. I live in the mountains and already have trouble taking LO on hikes with the slings and soft carriers I have. He is 3 months old (but 18lbs and the size of a 6 month old). I just bought a Kelty off Ebay and would recommend looking into something similar for your OH if you will be doing much hiking. Its just safer and more stable. I have nearly lost footing more than once hiking with my LO in a soft carrier.

I have also found that hiking with baby on your front makes it VERY hard to keep safe. You can't see where you are putting your feet very well and it is easy to misstep and twist and ankle... and fall. Ouch! But that is just my experience -- maybe your husband will be better at it.

https://i699.photobucket.com/albums/vv354/birdzell/keltybackpack.jpg

I have also found that hiking with baby on your front makes it VERY hard to keep safe. You can't see where you are putting your feet very well and it is easy to misstep and twist and ankle... and fall. Ouch! But that is just my experience -- maybe your husband will be better at it.

If I was hiking I would probably have the soft carrier on my back. I will certainly be doing more back carries with my Mei Tai when Freya is a bit bigger. She is very light at the moment and I can't really feel her on my back at all, which although very comfy is rather unsettling!

Hey TigerLady :)
Thanks.

Yes he'll definitely have one of those when shes an older baby, but I'm looking for newborn (no hiking ;))

The issue being I don't know which of the SSCs will fit around his huge chest and shoulders. The wraps etc are a bit too much fuss for him.

Ahh! Ok, I understand better now. :shy:

I actually have the same problem as my husband has about a 55" chest. Someone on Ebay threw in an infantino carrier wiht a boppy I bought. Turns out that it fits my DH. It isn't my favorite to carry LO in (I like the ring slings) but DH has used it multiple times and seems okay with it. DH is 6'4 and about 290#s, so if it fits him, it can fit just about anyone!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010BCFC...e=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B0010BCFCY

ooh that one looks really good, i wish i wouldve got it instead of the crappy one i bought lol

i have a mei tai that i made now so dont need one now but wouldve loved it when leyla was a bit younger

x

Ahh! Ok, I understand better now. :shy:

I actually have the same problem as my husband has about a 55" chest. Someone on Ebay threw in an infantino carrier wiht a boppy I bought. Turns out that it fits my DH. It isn't my favorite to carry LO in (I like the ring slings) but DH has used it multiple times and seems okay with it. DH is 6'4 and about 290#s, so if it fits him, it can fit just about anyone!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0010BCFC...e=asn&creative=380341&creativeASIN=B0010BCFCY

Aaaaah, that is perfect!! :happydance:
Thank you :)

Hubby doesn't like shopping and would get something 'not right' rather than keep looking... and soooo many of the SSCs are just too tight on him I thought it'd take me til shes 6 months to find anything ;)

Now just to find out if I can get it in the UK ;)

Thanks again x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->