Ideas for winter woodland bday party

colsy

Mummy to 2 li'l pudd'ns
Reaction score
We're planning a totally outdoors party in the woods for our little boy's 5th birthday in a few weeks. We will be outside, regardless of the weather - no option to go indoors if it starts raining, as it's a few miles in the car away from our house.

We're thinking of building a den, doing a scavenger hunt (where the kids find a bagful of stuff on a list, like acorns, leaves, sticks etc, and then get a small prize for finding everything), and making model reindeer out wood (done this before so we know it's possible).

Any other ideas for woodland-related games/activities? We've never done a kids' bday party before, so we've no idea how long everything will take. We'd like to have too many games/activities planned, in case one goes wrong or we have spare time to fill.

Also after ideas for food that we can take with us, store (potentially in the rain) while the kids play, and then have them eat (potentially sitting on a muddy tarp in the rain). I will make a cake and hope that it travels OK. Was thinking maybe baked potatoes that they can hold in tin foil??? We can't cook at the woods as no fires allowed.

Finally, I don't like the idea of party bags, especially the sort filled up with badly made plastic toys that go into landfill within a few days. But I'm also aware that our little boy won't want to feel too different, so it would be nice to do some kind of take-home thing without resorting to plastic tat - ideally each kiddy will have their own wooden reindeer to take home, but any other ideas? We would really love seeds, but it's gonna be the start of UK winter so most things won't be growing ...

Joshua went to a woodland party this year.

There were bush craft skills, den building, mini beast hunt & animal track hunting.

They had a fire to cook stuff but it was in a fire pit with a tri pod over it (is this an option?) or a camping stove?

It was a company called Acorn Antics that did it all. Might be worth checking website for ideas.

Joshua got a book & a lolly at the party for the 'gift bag.'

For party bag ideas could you put together a cress growing kit like this:

https://www.no-dig-vegetablegarden.com/grow-a-hairy-harry.html

Food wise I would go with typical picnic foods: boiled egg, chicken legs or wings, sandwiches, veg sticks. Depending how many kids you are feeding they could have a little paper lunch bag each, would be a bit of a chore if there are loads of kids but easy enough with 5 or so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->