If its not safe.....

TwilightAgain

LTW for our LO <3
Reaction score
to put baby bumpers on a cot/crib, why do they sell them :dohh: makes no sense!

Here is the article that got me thinking about it https://www.babycenter.com/408_is-it-safe-to-use-bumpers-on-my-babys-crib_1368447.bc

Thoughts? It seems kind of bizarre to me. Usually people say about things in general "If XXX wasn't safe, they wouldn't sell them"......

I always wondered the same! Why are they available if they aren't safe??
My sister got a lovely pink set when she had her daughter and couldn't put the bumper on the cot but now that she's in her own room in a "big girl bed" she has attatched the bumper across the headboard to make it softer and finds it great so if you do have a bumper set don't throw it out if you think it could be similarly useful :)

there's lots of things that are sold that aren't safe! baby walkers imo are death traps!

because they make money I guess. cigarettes and alcohol arent safe either!

Good point I suppose, I just thought if it was the safety of babies then perhaps it wouldn't be jeopardised by the authorities :shrug:

I've said this before lol.. The same with baby food, if the recommended age is 6 months why put 4 months on the jar :wacko:

Stupid really.

I never ever had a bumper for the girls. I personally don't like the idea of them

^^^^ recommended at 6 months...............babies wont die if fed between 4-6 months though and every baby is different.

Nothing is 100% safe really is it? you can minimise the risks as much as you can iykwim but i guess its down to what parents are comfortable with and common sense x

I guess because the argument is that they can be used whilst the baby is tiny and at the opposite end of the cot plus some people might like to use them during the day to make the cot look pretty but take them off at nap time and night time x

In the US and many European countries they sell special wide baby bottles to feed rice cereal with, this doesn't mean it's safe and recommended to do so. Sadly they will make anything for babies and toddlers they can get away with xx

How long has it been since they were deemed unsafe? Guidelines and different rules seem to change every week nowadays. Tons of people used to have drop-side cribs, put babies to sleep on their stomachs and regularly smoked around children. It takes time for things to be phased out once they are realized to be bad.

And like the other BnBer said - the bumpers can be used for other things once the child is a bit older.

Its like the quilts that come with the moses basket - no one would use it, its simply there to 'sell it' and make it look pretty!

^^^^ recommended at 6 months...............babies wont die if fed between 4-6 months though and every baby is different.

Nothing is 100% safe really is it? you can minimise the risks as much as you can iykwim but i guess its down to what parents are comfortable with and common sense x

I never said a baby would die from eating food at 4 months I am just saying they do it with baby food too.. Its recommended to wean at 6 months and its recommended that after a certain age they should be removed..

We have an air wrap...the pretty rose embroidered bumper we were bought has become a cushion with a bit of sewing! Looks lovely on the rocking chair in Lizzie's room :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->