If you could change one law...

angelandbump

Working Mum :o)
Reaction score
Me and my other half talk about this all the time.

He thinks that the national speed limit should be raised to 80mph because when the limit was put in place, cars could only do that at a max speed plus they also are built better now there for high speed crashes aren't as deadly ect.
I personally disagree as i watch all the medical programs and WOW when you see a crash at 60mph then one at 80/90mph, its not worth risking your life.

I would change the drink driving limit to 0! Because i dont drink if i was to have a glass of wine, i would probably be on the floor... Drink affects everyone differently and there for is it worth the risk of drinking at all before getting behind the wheel of a car?

What would you change?

I'd make it legal to pop off mother-in-laws :winkwink:

In an ideal world tobacco would be illegal but thats never gonna happen! I agree with your drink driving one though.

Life meaning life in prison. Not life meaning 20 years and get out on "good behaviour"

In an ideal world tobacco would be illegal but thats never gonna happen! I agree with your drink driving one though.

I am split on tobacco, i don't smoke but if it wasn't for smokers, wouldnt out tax be higher? or do they cost the NHS that much that it weighs out? ... i do think their needs to be furmer laws on where smoking should be allowed (but thats a whole other debate lol)

Life meaning life in prison. Not life meaning 20 years and get out on "good behaviour"

I couldn't agree more! and I also think in certain rape cases, they should also get life in prison as the victum has a life sentence of their own.

Legalise drugs I think, there would be far less crime etc.

I'd make a persons first drunk driving offense a felony. My guess is a lot less people would be drinking and driving!

I think dangerous or reckless driving should be classed as murder

I used to think bring back the death penalty then I decided I would rather scumbags that rape/murder don't deserve the easy way out, they should have to sit and rot in a cell for the rest of their lives (and not 20 years then get out like I mentioned before!)

I would change the Smear age to at least 18 years old.

stricter laws in general like what has all ready been said; Life meaning life
drink driving being more gravely punished
causing a death whilst drink driving should be murder
or for that matter driving like a PRAT for no reason that should be murder also ...
x

Totally agree with you about actually lowering speed limits. Your partner's logic is quite flawed and falls in with an interesting phenomenon: as safety designs improve in cars, drivers tend to reach a false level of security and take more risks. So the rate of accidents actually rises. This phenomenon has a name - I wish I could remember what it was. :dohh:
And you are right again in that this is a physics equation: adding an extra 20 km/hr to the force of an impact can be the difference between life and death, or in the case of applying the brakes - being able to stop in time or not. And the "skill" of the driver or the safety of the vehicle will ALWAYS be overriden by simple physics.
I've wanted to create a bumper sticker to that effect as a message to all the absolutely horrible speeding, tailgating drivers in my city. Something along the lines of "The laws of physics apply to you, too!". I doubt any of them would get it, though. They are all too busy texting while driving and other such activities.
So, I think motor vehicle violations need to have punishments that reflect the real risk they impose on society. A ticket and a mild fine does nothing. Some of this behaviour puts lives at risk, and that should be reflected with driving suspensions, community service, and steep steep fines.

I would legalise cannabis.

I would also raise tax on alcohol MUCH more

I would also class drink/drug driving as murder. There is no need to have ANY drink whilst driving and if caught, license taken on spot and never given back! EVER! That would scare people.

I dont know if these would work...pros/cons etc. They are just ones I have thought of.

After heavy discussion, we would like to re legalise the stoning of homewreckers... especially the smug ones :trouble:

I would legalise, regulate (and heavily tax) all drugs.

Totally agree with you about actually lowering speed limits. Your partner's logic is quite flawed and falls in with an interesting phenomenon: as safety designs improve in cars, drivers tend to reach a false level of security and take more risks. So the rate of accidents actually rises. This phenomenon has a name - I wish I could remember what it was. :dohh:
And you are right again in that this is a physics equation: adding an extra 20 km/hr to the force of an impact can be the difference between life and death, or in the case of applying the brakes - being able to stop in time or not. And the "skill" of the driver or the safety of the vehicle will ALWAYS be overriden by simple physics.
I've wanted to create a bumper sticker to that effect as a message to all the absolutely horrible speeding, tailgating drivers in my city. Something along the lines of "The laws of physics apply to you, too!". I doubt any of them would get it, though. They are all too busy texting while driving and other such activities.
So, I think motor vehicle violations need to have punishments that reflect the real risk they impose on society. A ticket and a mild fine does nothing. Some of this behaviour puts lives at risk, and that should be reflected with driving suspensions, community service, and steep steep fines.

I'm trying to think of the name of this- all I can come up with is 'car safety paradox' but that's not it :lol:

On a completely different note, I would like to see it easier to get legal, safe sperm donations for home insemination. Things like going back to allowing donor anonymity would help a lot. Couples resorting to desperate measures because of ludicrous rules that make it really difficult to go the 'proper' route will always happen. I know this topic has been in certain magazines a fair bit but it's also a topic close to me and I feel very strongly. xx

But then there are SO many other things I would change if I were in charge! Only 1 change isn't enough at all :rofl:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->