IF you go to hospital

chuck

Reaction score
for what ever reason and you had had planned a HB and the midwife was with you etc what happens then?

If you stay at home the midwife stays with you until she's happy you and baby are well.

But what if you go to hospital for what ever reason does she stay with you or does she have to hand you over to who ever is on duty in the hospital?

I would imagine she hands you over to the MWs on duty at the hospital

ergh I hope they don't, if im even allowed a HB!

From what i read here (Ottawa,Ontario) They can go with you to certain hospitals i think.

Like here they explain where they are able to go: https://www.midwiferycollectiveofottawa.ca/birthstuff-hospital.html

Well here my midwife has access to not only the midwife lead birthing unit but also the hospital so she will come and be my midwife if I decide halfway through my pregnancy that I want to go to the birthing unit or if I need to transfer during labour. It's one of the reasons I sought her out, she is so passionate about homebirth but can be there all the way with me if I need to transfer etc.
It's such a pity this isn't how it is done everywhere. I believe that continuity of care throughout the prenatal, labour and postnatal period is really important.

My CNM doesn't practice in a hospital at present, however as part of her policy she will go along in a doula role unless she has another laboring woman to attend.

Well here my midwife has access to not only the midwife lead birthing unit but also the hospital so she will come and be my midwife if I decide halfway through my pregnancy that I want to go to the birthing unit or if I need to transfer during labour. It's one of the reasons I sought her out, she is so passionate about homebirth but can be there all the way with me if I need to transfer etc.
It's such a pity this isn't how it is done everywhere. I believe that continuity of care throughout the prenatal, labour and postnatal period is really important.

Same as WSS

Argh I'll have to wait and find out at my booking appt I suppose.

I've just been reading the birth after cesarean leaflet I was given when I had Dewi -

'it is strongly recommended that women who have had previous cesarean section births have a hospital birth where there are facilities for an immediate cesarean delivery should it be necessary'

I reckon that's usurp the next statement

'we would support you if you do decide you have a homebirth'

In Ontario, Canada the midwife will go into the hospital with you and will be your care provider unless care is required to be transferred to an ob. Reasons care needs to be transferred varies with individual midwifery practices (if a c-section is required care is transferred... and depending on the area sometimes care is transferred for an epidural or augmentation/induction).

After the baby is born, if all is well with everyone you're free to go home 3 to 4 hours after the birth. If you choose to stay or you or babe are not well enough to go home then the nurses would look after you (eg take your vitals according to their protocol) but your midwife would still remain your primary care provider and would be on call for you if there were any urgent concerns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->