If you had a Homebirth, When did you start looking for a Midwife?

autumn88

Reaction score
I was wondering when you started to look for a Midwife? How many weeks along where you? I am 4 weeks today and i know of two that dont charge a lot and are very nice. We may have to pay all cash because DH insurance is a HMO that wont cover it.

THANKS!

I started looking for one when I was about 6 weeks along and I had my first prenatal appointment when I was 8 weeks. :) That's unfortunate that your DH's insurance won't cover it...

I started looking for one when I was about 6 weeks along and I had my first prenatal appointment when I was 8 weeks. :) That's unfortunate that your DH's insurance won't cover it...

Yep its called United health care signature something. its HMO and a Union insurance that you have no say so. Im 4 weeks today but i was wondering if i should just wait until 12 weeks to make sure? I wont be doing Shadow care or any Hospital stuff. So it would be just straight Midwife at her office or my home.

Yep its called United health care signature something. its HMO and a Union insurance that you have no say so. Im 4 weeks today but i was wondering if i should just wait until 12 weeks to make sure? I wont be doing Shadow care or any Hospital stuff. So it would be just straight Midwife at her office or my home.

I'm sure it would be totally fine to wait until at least 12 weeks. I only saw my midwife at 8 weeks for an interview and to confirm the pregnancy. After that, I didn't see her again until 13 weeks.

I started looking for one when i found out i was pregnant.
Part of who i went with was dictated by who my insurance would cover (or not). Ended up having to travel 1 hour because of it. ...i hate the insurance situation here in the States. ARG! but anyways, so thats what i did. With this last pregnancy i didn't even see the MW for the first time until last week (so middle of 11 weeks). It has to be fine. bc really, for as harsh a reality as this may sound, if anything happens in first trimester (like if you are going to MC or anything) there isnt much anyone can do about it.

with that said, no harm in interviewing MWs! Some HB Mws are great, others are not so great. def do your homework and ask questions. You could totally start interviewing them now :flower:

The longer you have to get to know your midwife the better so I'd get one sorted asap x

5 weeks! Great midwives can be booked very far in advance.

I looked the day after I got my BFP! Around 4 weeks. You really want to get a good bond with your midwife!

thankfully being in the UK you dont have to interview them sadly though it does mean your normally stuck with whoever the local community MW is and then when you go into labour whichever 2 MW's are on call from your local hospital

Again thanks everyone. I should call her today instead of tomorrow Feb 19th. im waiting a little bit more towards the afternoon. I dont know if shes sleeping or busy right now.

After my DH, our midwife was the next person I called at 5 weeks. :) I saw her at 8 weeks and had a U/S at 10 weeks and then at 12 weeks, so I would say go for it! :)

Six weeks I started to look for a doctor/midwife. I chose a midwife. Was supposed to see them at 8 weeks but they had a birth and then I went to Europe. So I saw them at 13 weeks for the first time for a meet and greet and questions. Also heard the heartbeat. :)
I'd say look soon. The ones I had could get booked pretty fast.
I had to pay out of pocket as well. No insurance coverage for them.
I'd much rather pay out of pocket than have a hospital birth.

It's good to start the process early because good MWs can be in demand and are easily booked up, for obvious reasons they can't take on many clients at a time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->