Ikea Wall Lamp Recall

Saphira

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this has been posted yet but I want to pass it around:

https://edition.cnn.com/2013/12/12/health/ikea-child-lamp-recall/

I know these are quite popular in children's rooms so it should be known. We have ours on the wall with these nail-in cord fasteners over the cords so they can't get it loose.
https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=709965&stc=1&d=1387038408

Plus, their cribs are far from reach from them. I know there's been a recent recall for Angelcare breathing/movement monitors for the same reason (danger of strangulation) so this goes for all products with a long cord really. Very sad and scary.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 84
I read about this but I think the recall is completely unnecessary. I think most parents know to keep the cords away from babies?

Ya I thought cords and babies was common knowledge. same as you wouldn't have a normal lamp cord near a cot?? no??

Yeah, I think it's more of a warning that it's safer to have cords fixed to the wall. Most wouldn't put a lamp within crib reach I'd think but I'm sure many don't think to nail cords with a fastening system firmly to the wall so there's no danger of a child getting it loose.

we have one of these type of lights for our older child. I think the recall is ridiculous. Surely when putting something like that in a child's room you should make sure it's safe and away from cots etc. ?

I think the recall is ridiculous too, it's just common sense to not put this product near anywhere where a baby or child could get the cord. Also I don't know if it's still the case-but ten years ago it was illegal to fasten a power cord with a plug, to a wall, those clips are mainly designed for telephone/internet cables not electrical ones. The power cables and wires that are part of the wiring of a house etc should be fed through a wall or special sleeving of some type. My ex husband was an electrician and he told me this also it was in this DIY manual my parents had, I can't remember the exact reason for this regulation but I think it was to do with the fact the screw of the clip could pierce a power cable potentially causing a shock or fire risk? Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->