i'm considering cloth diapers

nada87

Reaction score
i know nothing about cloth diapers except for when my little brother was a baby (and those were the kind you have to fold and pin) and my neice 5 years ago (i baby sat one night and changed her 2 times and didnt know i had to put a cover on so she leaked everywhere) i have no experience. now that lo isn't going thru diapers like crazy (maybe 6 a day) i'm thinking maybe cloth might be a good idea. i have yet to bring it up to dh tho so any arguements to support it would be good. mainly i was wondering how many i would need and estimates on how much an inital supply would cost. i don't have alot of time for doing laundry (usually dedicate one day a week to doing 8 loads) so is it still feasable to do cloth?

If you use prefolds & covers it can work out a LOT cheaper - you change the prefold and if the cover is clean, you can reuse it with a new prefold :)

You can also stock up on these so you don't have to do laundry as often - and handwashing is also a lot easier if you suddenly find you need a couple of extra diapers to last until you get the laundry done.

I am in the US (assuming you're in the UK??? Although you may not be! If not, check out cottonbabies.com for prefolds if you want to try them out!) so obviously the prices will vary a little (and be in a different currency :lol:) but I bought 6 prefolds for $1 each with free shipping just to try them out - got 7 covers second hand (Thirsties Duos Size 1 - they are adjustable so they last longer, you can snap the rise in different places for growing baby - I would recommend them, the leg gussets keep wee & poop in very well!) for $50 (remember that they can be wiped and reused a couple of times (unless LO has an explosive poop all over them!) before having to wash them).

So basically you need to figure out how often you CAN do laundry - how many times LO needs a diaper change (cloth generally needs to be changed a little more frequently than sposies) in a day and multiply and then add on a few extras just incase(!) to figure out how many prefolds you would need. Then get enough covers. It would make it easier for you (and cheaper) to be able to do laundry every 2-3 days :)

I use All In Ones & Pockets mostly which are more expensive, but they are like disposables in the way you put them on (have velcro or snaps on the tabs & elastic at the legs) and they have a waterproof layer in them, so they don't require a cover.

P.S Sorry if that was a bit of a mish mash, my girly is yelling :lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->