I'm getting sick. :(

HBGirl

Reaction score
I have woken up with that start of a cold. I am now petrified of being able to feed DD while sick. I am a miserable customer when sick, I am talking man flu sick.

I am scared of passing it on to DD as she is so young and so small. How can I avoid doing so?

Also, what can I safely take for decongestion?

Your body passes on your immunity to the cold you have so breastfeeding wilst sick wont make them sick :) i worried about that too and thats what my breastfeeding consultant said. Even if u had runs Your illness wont pass on! Xxx

I breastfed DS through multiple colds and he never once got sick. You are best to keep breastfeeding because you pass on your mature immune response to bubs in your breast milk.

I believe there are some nasal sprays you can take for your nose. Ask at the pharmacy.

Yep, nursing while you're sick is actually the best way to keep them from getting it!

Not sure about the meds, I would talk to a pharmacist.

Hope you feel better soon. :)

Thanks ladies. I have using tissue salts and iliadin. So far I am very impressed with the tissue salts.

The past week and a bit I've been sick with a cold, so has my DD's even the younger and they both are feeling better than me. So I wouldn't worry about your DD with a cold... however it is tough when you come down with it. :wacko:

Continuing breastfeeding is best. You are less likely to pass it on to your LO. And if it does pass to your LO, they will be less sick because you are BFing. And you likely won't be as sick as you would be if you weren't BFing.

Continuing to breastfeed will help protect your baby from the infection, because your body produces antibodies to the specific bug that is causing the infection, and you pass them on to the baby in your breastmilk. Often, a breastfed baby will be the only member of the family who doesn’t get sick. If he does get sick, he will usually have a much milder case than the older members of the family.

https://www.breastfeedingbasics.com/articles/when-a-nursing-mother-gets-sick

Well, she is sick. And mighty grumpy too. Thank heavens for the Nose Frida.

I clear her sinuses before each feed and it helps. Poor thing is doing a lot of comfort nursing and I am totally allowing her to. It makes me feel better too.

My son is EBF and every time I get a cold, he does but my first son was the same (he was bottle fed expressed milk). Breast feeding does pass on antibodies but it only means baby is less likely to catch certain things... Not immune.

Nasal drops about 10mins before baby is due to feed is great, it helps clear babies nose so s/he can eat with out getting out of breath. And for you, paracetamol will help and hot baths xx

Well, she is sick. And mighty grumpy too. Thank heavens for the Nose Frida.

I clear her sinuses before each feed and it helps. Poor thing is doing a lot of comfort nursing and I am totally allowing her to. It makes me feel better too.

Ahh bless her. Breastfeeding is amazing for custom made antibodies but also babies get about 8 colds on average before the age of one. Have you tried a saline spray? If DS is a bit stuffy I squirt the spray in each nostril, then change his nappy and by the time I'm done all the gunk has started to run out of his nose. He's then able to breathe much easier for a feed. I found it gentler than the nose sucking things personally.

I do saline then the Nose Frida. It gets it all out and she doesn't mind. I am feeling much better but I am super tired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->