Im not sure i will make it full term

N

NetsaBaba

I thought i would come here as your ladies will know more but basically i arent having any contractions yet but other early labour signs, i went to the doctors today as i was having trouble last night and they wanted to check me over.
What i really want to know is if i do go into labour early will the babies be okay im 28 weeks and they are weighing 31 weeks at over 3 pounds each, there is no saying im going to go into labour but i just want some peace of mind, if that's possible.
My sister lost her baby girl recently at 31 weeks and it has knocked me abit.
Thanks in advance :flower:

Hi and welcome. You've come to the right place. First of all, just wanted to say sorry to hear about your sister's loss :hugs:

I hope I can offer you a bit of reassurance. My baby was born at 27 weeks earlier this year, weighing just 1lb 13 and measuring 13 inches long. After 12 weeks in neonatal, she came home weighing 5lb 6. She is now almost 6 months old, must be over 10lb by now (she was 9lb 11 almost a fortnight ago when she was last weighed) and she is doing everything we'd expect of a baby of her corrected age, which is 12 weeks tomorrow.

Premature babies are little fighters. There is a lot they can do for them. Sounds like yours are a very good weight which is a great start. Have you been offered steroid injections in the event of them coming early? That helps to mature their lungs and it makes a huge difference.

Hopefully they will stay inside you a lot longer, but I was told that even every half day makes a difference.

There are lots of us on here who've had their babies as early even earlier than 28 weeks and you'll find lots of support and advice here. When Sophie was in neonatal there was a baby in who was born a few weeks before Sophie at 24 weeks and she went home around the same time as Sophie - she was doing absolutely fine.

xxxxx

I'm so sorry to hear about your sisters baby hun, that had probably worried you loads.

Katy's lil Sophie isnt an exception - there are LOADS of very early babies in this section, including my lil Alex, who was another 27 weeker weighing 2lb 14oz. There are even 23 weekers around ;) I'm a 29 weeker myself!

It sounds like your twins are a great weight for their gestation.

I know you said you dont like the idea of your babies being left with nurses, but you are actually encouraged to do more than you think, even at their tiny sizes. The first few days are hard to leave them, but you manage, I promise you, we've all had to, its just mummys way :D

Thankyou both for replying, i hope they stay in abit longer and cook some more but its nice to know if they do come early there is a good chance for them.
:flower:

Welcome. Sorry to hear about your sister's little one. It must be so difficult for both of you in this situation.

There are no absolute guarantees when it comes to premature babies, but the odds are definitely on your side. All of the statistics point to a high percentage survival rate for babies of your gestation, and most of them have few severe long term problems.

Abby was 3lbs 7oz at 29 weeks and we had no problems in NNICU other than a need to get bigger and learn to feed. Long term we don't think there will be a problem, but of course it is a wait and see situation.

Have they given you the steroid jabs yet? If not then make sure you get them if they think you will deliver early. They really do make a huge difference to a babies lungs.

Hopefully your little ones will stick there a bit longer as every day does count, but there is every reason to hope, if they come early, that they will be ok.

Keep us informed. Best of luck.

My first set of twins were born at 28 weeks and were 2lb11oz and 3lb5oz and to look at them now at 2.5 you'd never know they were premature. They are running and laughing and fantastic.
I think the stats are that 95% of babies born at 28 weeks survive and 90% of those have no long-term problems.

As you know from Twins and Multiples I had Chloe and Jaycee early. I didnt realise how common premature birth is until I had the twins and then I realised there are so many other people going through it too. I came to this site.. Chloe and Jaycee were nearly a yr old but it was still nice to talk about it with people who would understand. Thats what we all are here to do so you can voice your concerns anytime.
I had the girls at 29 weeks and it was such a frightening experience but you somehow just make it through. I would say rest up dont do too much and take things one day at a time. Most twin mums give up work around 29 weeks so if your working you may want to start thinking about maternity leave or if your not working just take some time to sit down and rest a little at home.. Its hard carrying a baby let alone two.

Hope you make it to 37 weeks

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"