I'm scared to even attempt breastfeeding?!?

Gabrielle22

Reaction score
I am 20 weeks with my first baby girl. I have a son who is 3 also.
With my son, I tried to breastfeed. I got a horrible lactation consultant!!! I mean, HORRIBLE! She acted like she hated her job! She immediately got frustrated when my son wouldn't latch after the first couple tries, we only tried for like 10 minutes, then she tried a pump O.O she was so rough and aggressive I almost punched her because she hurt me so bad! She then have up, about 30 minutes into trying and told me my nipples were too small. :( I was so sad. So because of that nurse, and me being only 19 years old and uneducated in the matter, I gave up and formula fed. I felt so guilty for a long time because of it!
I want to breastfeed my daughter so badly, but I'm so afraid to try because I don't want to fail...again! I'm so scared she won't latch. And like with my son, my breasts got so engorged so quickly that you really couldn't do anything with them!
I just wish it was easy!!!
I'm not sure what I'm looking to get out of posting this, maybe some reassurance..?

Don't let a bad experience and horrible person put you off! Lots of babies don't latch on immediately it can take a few goes.... And the whole small nipples thing is bull that woman just couldn't be bothered to do her job properly. Just try again if that's what you want and persevere for a little while, if it's a problem then go on to formula not feeling guilty but knowing that you tried.

Every baby is different and you may find it so easy this time. If you are worrying this much already you will probably feel guilty if you fail and guilty if you dont try so you may as well give it a shot. With engorgement massage and hand expressing will help alot and at least then you could feed lo what you have pumped whilst you keep trying. Try to find out if there are any support groups around you could attend and be confident in your choices.

Sounds like you were unlucky with the lactation consultant last time, sorry it has put you off :( Hopefully you will get someone more helpful this time!

It might be worth watching some videos and getting a couple of books to reference too if you need info and there is nobody on hand. When my milk came in I was so engorged DD couldn't latch. It was during the night so I grabbed my book and mangaged to get her latched by hand expressing a bit off and using the rugby hold :thumbup:

Educate yourself, read as much as you can, watch videos, attend LLL meetings. It will be hard in the beginning but you can do it and once you and baby get the hang of it it is so much easier :)

it's true that every baby is different. i couldn't get DD1 to latch & ended up expressing for her until she was a month old. when i got pregnant with DD2, i very seriously considered not even attempted to breastfeed because i didn't think i'd be able to cope with the disappointment & upset if i failed again.

thankfully i gave it a go, she latched perfectly from the word go, i had none of the issues i had with DD1 & we're still going strong almost 2.5 years later!

It's TOTALLY worth it to find a lactation consultant who actually enjoys their job and you can talk to. I had one who also worked as a L&D nurse and she just so happened to be there when I had my son. It was amazing to talk to her about things that helped and she was able to watch my son try to latch while giving me pointers. When I got frustrated during the first night because he was fussing and fussing but wouldn't latch on, she came in and tried to help. Once she saw how he wasn't wanting the breast no matter what position I tried, she said he might just be overstimulated from the scent of my milk so she took him to the nursery for an hour. He calmed down as soon as they left the room and I got a quick nap in. Once he started rooting again, they brought him back, the nurse watched me offer the breast and he started nursing just fine. I didn't have any trouble after that. And nipple size has NOTHING to do with how well you nurse your kids. My s-i-l has very small nips and she's only had trouble nursing one of her kids (and that's due to lip tie, not nipple size). Otherwise, she's nursed her kids until 18 months or so with no trouble.

all babies are different. I would just try to nurse but don't go into the experience with self doubt. you and your baby both have to learn how to do it so it will take a week or so to get into the groove. I would just talk to your pediatrician and explain your concerns maybe they have some referrals for a good lactation nurse. Also if you can get a medela pump those are awesome

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->