I'm so close to bottle right now... (thrush causing fussy latch)

supertabby

Reaction score
My 3 week old DS and I have thrush, the GP has given us treatment today (daktarin cream for me, nyastin drops for him). I can't actually tell for sure that DS has it but I do and he's behaving like my DD did when she had it.

He's being really fussy with latching on - screaming out for a feed but not latching, or latching on and off again seconds later. I know this will be due to discomfort but is there a way of encouraging a better latch?

With DS we introduced a bottle for feeding in public because she latched on and off every 5 seconds during a feed so I couldn't do it discreetly - I needed boob fully out and both hands constantly positioning her for hour long feeds. But that bottle was the start of no way back for us and I don't want to do it again.

I endured weeks of agony with DD because I wanted to still bf - the pain isn't that bad yet this time though I know if the thrush doesn't go soon it'll get worse. But I don't know if I can handle the latching issue - I can't "sleep when baby sleeps" this time because I have a toddler.

Any tips or success stories? I'm so heartbroken that we've got thrush again :(

I'm so sorry, I know what you're going through! My LO had thrush and cried all the time. Feedings were a nightmare. I dreaded it every time. She was restless, couldn't latch, and I was in pain. I'm so glad that is over!! It started getting better when she was 3 months. But it did get better. It's so easy now. The ONLY reason I stuck with it was because I wanted my immunity to pass on to her. To me that is what made all the pain worth it.

My DD and I had thrush for 8 weeks :cry: I'm as stubborn as anything and refused to give up.. we ended up bfing til she was 11m and I'm so glad I didn't throw the towel in! Just use both of your meds and hang in there :hugs: I just got a quick walk through for latching yesterday as I've kind of forgotten since DD lol, I'll try to explain cause it's working great for us. Hold the back of baby's head so you have control of where it goes, put the chin on your boob so the bottom lip will meet your areola, he should instinctively do the rest and take your nipple with a big open mouth, if not then just guide him while the mouth is big. As you're feeding, the mouth might close up a bit so just pull his chin down and make sure his bottom lip isn't tucked inwards. Gosh I hope that makes sense! Sorry to hear you have thrush, it's not nice for mommy or baby! xx

I had ductal thrush when my DD was 2 weeks. The pain upon latching was toe curling! I feel your pain.

I'd go back to your GP and request different medications. What they've given baby isn't strong enough really.

You need Daktarin cream for nipples, Daktarin gel for babys mouth and a full course of Fluconazole to really eradicate it. If not properly treated it can come back.

I'd also start taking acidophilus. It'll help. :thumbup:

I agree with PP get some daktarin gel for your LO. You can buy it over the counter. Take acidophilus tablets - I used the chewable ones from holland and barrett. DO NOT use lansinoh on your nipples, it helps thrush to grow. Use raw coconut oil instead, I got some cheaply off ebay. Make sure bras, muslins etc go on a hot wash, and if your LO has a dummy it should be boiled for 15-20 mins rather than just sterilised. If the pain gets worse or doesn't go, get back to your GP for some fluconazole.
I failed to beat thrush with DS1, but by doing all of the above I got rid of it with DS2. You say the pain isn't as bad as with your daughter, so it sounds like you've caught it early. That should make it much easier to fight off x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->