I'm terrified.

Srrme

Reaction score
Our little boy was born at 28 weeks + 6 days yesterday, and I am terrified of what can happen. Any support would be appreciated.

They just started him on a caffeine dose to stop him from desatting, and said other than those small episodes he's doing well.

:cry: I'm so scared.

:hugs: congratulations on the birth of your little boy.

Caffeine is usually given to preemies until around 35 weeks gestation. Is he on cpap or breathing on his own?

The Nicu journey is a rollercoaster but try and take half hour for yourself each day as you need your strength as well. I know it's scary but gradually you get into a routine and it becomes a weird normality.

Any questions these forums are great for answering them

Hiya hun congrats on baby :)
Nicu Can be a tough time but very rewarding as-well
My premmie was on caffeine drip too
Sending lots of loving vibes your way hun
xxx

My premmie is 38 weeks and still on caffine so don't worry :) He's doing so well, mind yourself it's a long road ahead but worth it when you see them coming on so well

hi hun, olly was born at 34 weeks and I was terrified of everything that was going on, he didnt need the caffiene so sorry I cant help you on that, other than to offer you hugs and to let you know it will all be ok. we were both in the hospital for 2.5 weeks while he gained weight, sorted out jaundice and could regulate own heat, it was really scary and I was a mess at times but all I can say it will get better and your LO will be fine in the end. When you see them put on weight and grow it is amazing.
huge hugs
xx

Hello, and congratulations on the birth of your little boy.

Sophie was born at 27 weeks exactly, weighing 1lb 13oz. She is now 8 months old (5 months corrected), very bright and alert and weighs 13lb 11oz. She was also on caffeine for a lot of weeks - I can't remember exactly when she came off it but I've a feeling it was around 38 weeks. She had 7 weeks in intensive care, 3 weeks in high dependency and 2 weeks in special care. She was in an incubator for 8 weeks then a heated cot.

She's currently lying on the floor giggling and playing with her toys!

The neonatal journey is a big rollercoaster of emotions but the ladies on here will give you plenty support - I don't know what I'd have done without them! It is really scary when you have a baby so early, and the neonatal unit itself is a scary environment until you get used to it, but before long you'll know what all the monitors and alarms mean.

Try to focus on all the little milestones like every little weight gain, your first nappy change etc and that makes it a little bit easier. You should be allowed to do nappy changes and tube feeds etc really soon if not already. Make sure you ask plenty questions and don't go home worrying.

:hugs: - these little babies may be tiny, but they are fighters. There's a thread on here of "then and now" pictures which may give you some encouragement. xxx

:hugs: congratulations on the birth of your little boy.

Caffeine is usually given to preemies until around 35 weeks gestation. Is he on cpap or breathing on his own?

The Nicu journey is a rollercoaster but try and take half hour for yourself each day as you need your strength as well. I know it's scary but gradually you get into a routine and it becomes a weird normality.

Any questions these forums are great for answering them

He's on the lowest level of cpap.

Hi hun! Leo is a 28 weeker, too! He was on caffeine until 34/35 weeks, it seems like they are on it, and having desats and bradys FOREVER! But then all of a sudden, he came off it and 2 days later his monitors were off.
He was also on cpap for a while.
He's now 20 weeks old, smiling, cooing, and a total joy! Time in neonatal is so hard, but it's also very rewarding. And preemies are truly amazing. Congrats and good luck!

Congrats on your little boy, cpac is great and may soon be on low flow. The Nicu is terrifying my son was born @ 25 weeks and we spent 108 days in the hospital. just have faith in you LO he will be home soon enough with you

Congratulations on your little boy. It is understandable that you are scared and worried at this time and there will be some difficult weeks ahead but your little man sounds like he's doing great and, as others have said, try to focus on the little milestones he will have which show you that he is getting stronger and closer to coming home. Sending lots of hugs. xx

Thank you guys so much. He's still doing well. Tonight is the first night we've been home, and I miss him so much. He's had a couple brady and desats, but has recovered on his own each time. He started eating today, so will hopefully begin to put on some weight.

thats great news glad to hear it s gonna be a long road mommy so just take it one day @ a time

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->