In Canada, can you request for a C-Section?

Dahlia05

Reaction score
Recently, I learned that in some places (possibly outside of Canada), ladies can choose to have a C-Section (elective).

What about here in Canada? I live in Ontario. Can you request it?

My first labour was horrid :( My little girl couldn't come out, they vacuumed her out (she was stuck in between my small pelvic bones). It was pain as hell. She was a big baby too. I was in labour for about 52 hrs. Yes, 52 hrs :wacko: They gave me epi, the next day I started having massive headaches (the worst one in my life), which I was told that I had a spinal leakage. Meaning the epi also went up to my brain, causing me to have the most massive headaches (so painful) that I barely moved out of bed, I couldn't move my head or shoulders. Thankfully, after 10 days with all the meds, I didn't have to get a blood patch surgery.

But...within a month after, I had more pain down in my gallbladder area... I barely could move. I was literally crying in pain that I went straight to the ER. They told me because of my hard labour, I had stones around my gallbladder, it was going to spread to my liver. The surgery came within a week, to remove my gallbladder quickly. It was that bad. After the hospital, I had more pain meds.

It was freaking a nightmare :(

Now I am scared... I really want to request for a C-section after that nightmare I had to go through. Everybody is telling me, that this time will different...but it isn't working with me. I am having nightmares. I wasn't scared with my first pregnancy, knowing that I was going to go through a labour. I am more scared with my 2nd one.

Anyone know if I can request for a C-section? I know they say it is longer recovery...but seriously after what I went through. I think a C-section wouldn't be this hell-ish lol

Thanks!! :flower:

I've *heard* that some girls in the GTA area can find private electives but you certainly can't here in Montreal or back in Vancouver (unless there are some secret doctors I didn't know about...).

That being said, I don't think that is an issue for you, you will probably be offered the choice.

Just a side note, but I had a very similar first labour (including dystocia). I did a natural birth with no epidural (which can often cause the problems with length of labour and getting stick in the pelvis) and it went very well. But if a section is what you want, I'm sure you will be able to negotiate with a doctor based on your traumatic first birth :)

Yes, I think I might just do that. My next visit to OB doc is next week. I'll ask him about it & will beg him if I have to lol.

I just don't understand, why we can't have a elective C-section here? But other places outside can?

I keep hearing from the other women that only for medical reason...but seriously...other places can? AGH! I might move to another country to get it done :p lol

I'm in Saskatchewan and a friend of mine just had an elective c section last month.

Why dont you just prepare for normal delivery and if things arent progressing as well as they should they will give you a c-section? :hugs:

Recently, I learned that in some places (possibly outside of Canada), ladies can choose to have a C-Section (elective).

Where in Ontario are you? I know that there are OB's at Mount Sinai who do elective Csections for sure because my friend had two!

My first labour was horrid :( My little girl couldn't come out, they vacuumed her out (she was stuck in between my small pelvic bones). It was pain as hell. She was a big baby too. I was in labour for about 52 hrs. Yes, 52 hrs :wacko: They gave me epi, the next day I started having massive headaches (the worst one in my life), which I was told that I had a spinal leakage. Meaning the epi also went up to my brain, causing me to have the most massive headaches (so painful) that I barely moved out of bed, I couldn't move my head or shoulders. Thankfully, after 10 days with all the meds, I didn't have to get a blood patch surgery.

But...within a month after, I had more pain down in my gallbladder area... I barely could move. I was literally crying in pain that I went straight to the ER. They told me because of my hard labour, I had stones around my gallbladder, it was going to spread to my liver. The surgery came within a week, to remove my gallbladder quickly. It was that bad. After the hospital, I had more pain meds.

Now I am scared... I really want to request for a C-section after that nightmare I had to go through. Everybody is telling me, that this time will different...but it isn't working with me. I am having nightmares. I wasn't scared with my first pregnancy, knowing that I was going to go through a labour. I am more scared with my 2nd one.

Anyone know if I can request for a C-section? I know they say it is longer recovery...but seriously after what I went through. I think a C-section wouldn't be this hell-ish lol

Where in Ontario are you? I know that there are OB's at Mount Sinai who do elective Csections for sure because my friend had two!

Why dont you just prepare for normal delivery and if things arent progressing as well as they should they will give you a c-section? :hugs:

If they didnt section with the first, i doubt they would be likely to do it this time if things weren't going to plan.

Asking for an elective takes away that risk.. I am asking for an elective also (im in the UK). Over here although they have to listen to my reasons they can still refuse a section. If you have a vlaid reason they have to just listen, but if you just go in requesting one then you have to be sent to a psychiatrist first before they will listen to the reasons. I am hoping upon hope that i can have a section.

Hello Dahalia,

Did you find a place for elective c-section ? I am 6 month pregnant and will plan to get my baby in Ontario.

Please support as I need C-Section.

Would you give me the OB's info that performed maternal request cesarean? I am desperate. Thanks!

Would you give me the OB's info that performed maternal request cesarean? I am desperate. Thanks!

I'm in Quebec and depending on your dr you sure can request a csection! My Present OB and the one I had in my first pregnancy grant elective csections. They believe it's a woman's choice and they will do wtv you feel most comfortable with. Especially if you had a bad experience the first time xx

I'm in Ontario and yes you can opt for a csection - ESPECIALLY if you had a difficult first birth.

If your OB is not supportive id talk to another dr.

I hope you get someone to listen to you and your OB agrees. I'm in the UK and having an elective section for this baby. I had a bad labour with my first that has left me with lasting damage. I just had to be referred to the consultant by my midwife and they looked over my notes and don't contest my decision. It was borderline whether they would let me go natural anyway due to the tear I had last time. X

I wish you luck, my ob didn't want to induce me I had to beg her to agree. I don't think I could have even asked for a c section without resistance or refusal. After what you went through I'd ask for it too. Heck, I had a ridiculous (not that bad -) labour I'd ask for a c section next time too. Lol. Good luck again.

Don't know what the circumstances are but my first was born via c section after a long long period of pushing, failed vacuum, failed forceps. I asked my doc for a section with number 2 and he agreed right away. He said I could try either way but didn't like my odds for a "natural" Second birth anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kenyawenya
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->