in the news today

sublime_ivy

Reaction score
i posted this on the bably club forum as well but i just wondered what ppl here thought. i have been co sleeping with my lo recently as he is up all night feeding. also if he sleeps in his cot he sleeps on his belly as i have given up rolling him back over. he also used to be swaddled.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/...inked-to-sleeping-with-a-parent-14530141.html

i think there are risk factors but healthy babies who are in their own cot and not swaddled overheated or have pillows die from this
i do think however they are pointing the finger at everything to try to explian something i think is unexplainable
i hope that makes sense

i totally agree louise, i regularly co sleep, not all of the time, if daisy wakes up really early or wont settle (which is very rare now) then she comes into bed wih us. when she is in bed with me i wouldnt say i catually 'sleep' its more of a snooze where i know whats happening but get a little rest! tho i think i end up more tired that way than if i was totally awake!!!:rofl:

my midwife said that it is totally safe thing to do especially if you are bf ing as it helps to make sure you get enough rest and still feed your LO imagine if you were sitting on the edge of the bed cradling LO and you fll asleep ?? IMHO i believe co-sleeping is far safer than this!

just my twopence worth!!

sara

xxxxx

The expert on bbc breakfast today finished his section by saying people should sleep seperatly because on the occasions where they drink it would be hard to put a baby in a different bed if they were used to being in with you. I would rather just not drink. I didnt think his argument was very well formed but then im sure he is very clever, just maybe not that articulate.

I know there are risks but i think there are risks where ever you are. My freinds baby died of cot death in her own cot in a different room.

Its all about making the decision that you feel is right for your circumstances and your baby.

Yes the article definitely implied the link was with cosleeping when under some sort of influence and we already knew about that. We just didn't drink when we coslept. It's not a hard thing to do!

The problem with all of this research is it is grasping at straws and based on correlation. I imagine half of all cot death babies were girls but that doesn't mean we should have boys only.

We bed share now too so this news story got my attention. The study was actually fine, it's the reporting by the media that is screwed up. They use attention grabbing, alarmist headlines that misrepresent the conclusions of the study. The headlines blame "bed-sharing" and yet they are including sleeping on the sofa in this, but in research linguistics sleeping on the sofa is not included in bed sharing, but is included in co-sleeping.

I am planning to email the BBC and complain about their reporting of this issue and urge others to do likewise. The actual study concludes (quoted from another poster on another forum):

Hazardous cosleeping environments and risk factors amenable to change. It says that most of the apparent increased risk of "co-sleeping" may be explained by the significant interaction between co-sleeping and recent parental use of alcohol and drugs (31%).Also larger numbers of the SIDS babies used a pillow (21%), had mothers who smoked during pregnancy (60%!), were preterm (26%) or in fair/poor health the previous sleep (28%) So basically they found that parents who have used drugs or alcohol are more likely to co-sleep without taking proper precautions and therefore put their baby at risk of SIDS.

I posted in the other thread already, but a summarization (that is a word right lmao) is I think it's CRAP

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->