Increasing supply..

mama2connor

Baking baby number 3.
Reaction score
I breastfed my baby for the first week and half but due to colic and reflux we switched to bottles and formula. He is now 5 weeks old and we only just started with breastfeeding again today. Obviously my milk supply has dropped massively as we haven't breastfed for a few weeks. I ended up having to top him up with 4oz of formula after he spent an hour on the breast as he was ravenous. I want to get back to breastfeeding again, so how long should it take to get my milk supply increased again?

I think you will need to do a lot of nursing & pumping to try & get your supply back.

I have quite low milk supply confirmed by LO weight loss/poor weight gain & it too awhile to perfect her latch.

The best thing I bought was fenugreek it really helped my milk.

Are you a stay at home mom? I ask because, if you want to go back to nursing exclusively, it's going to be quite the commitment to increase your supply to where it should be. You will need LOTS of skin to skin time with your baby. If you can, I suggest spending a few days doing nothing but laying around and nursing as often as you can, even if he just ate. The constant nursing (or pumping) is what will signal to your body that you need more. If you need to supplement, I still suggest pumping afterward so that you are telling your body that you need milk at that time regardless. For every time you bottle feed instead of nurse (or pump), that is nature's way of telling your body that you do not need milk at that time.

Does that make sense?

I also suggest Fenugreek, More Milk Plus, Nursing Moms tea (found at health food stores).

Here's a great link on relactating. It covers a bit of adoptive breastfeeding, but you can skip that part and head straight to the links regarding relactating.

Are you a stay at home mom? I ask because, if you want to go back to nursing exclusively, it's going to be quite the commitment to increase your supply to where it should be. You will need LOTS of skin to skin time with your baby. If you can, I suggest spending a few days doing nothing but laying around and nursing as often as you can, even if he just ate. The constant nursing (or pumping) is what will signal to your body that you need more. If you need to supplement, I still suggest pumping afterward so that you are telling your body that you need milk at that time regardless. For every time you bottle feed instead of nurse (or pump), that is nature's way of telling your body that you do not need milk at that time.

Does that make sense?

I also suggest Fenugreek, More Milk Plus, Nursing Moms tea (found at health food stores).

Here's a great link on relactating. It covers a bit of adoptive breastfeeding, but you can skip that part and head straight to the links regarding relactating.

Agree with this. It will be a huge commitment to get your baby EBF again, but it can be done. How much pumping have you been doing while LO has been FF? If you were pumping every time LO had a feed, it will be easier - but if it was less it will take more work. I would put LO on the breast literally as much as he will tolerate. And if he's not BF then I would pump. The more you can do that, the less time it will take! xo

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->