Incredibly noisy sleeper???

MEPride

Reaction score
My 19 day old DD is SO noisy sleeping at night. She grunts, coos, strains like she has to poo, and even lets out the occasional cry... all with her eyes closed! She psychs me out constantly. I'm always checking on her to see if she is awake. Strangely enough, she does this ONLY at night in her bassinet. During the day she sleeps in her swing, pack n play bassinet, or our arms.... all of which have some degree of an incline. I don't swaddle her arms (just below her arms) as she would make Harry Houdini proud with her ability to escape any swaddle and she then proceeds to terrify my by burrowing into the blanket. So we use a Halo Sleepsack instead.

Is this level of noise normal or should I be getting her checked out at the pediatrician? Is it something she just needs to grow out of? Thankfully DH sleeps like the dead and I'm ok with the noise and will just deal and snooze lightly through it.

So veteran moms..... is this normal sleep behavior? What causes it?

Sounds normal to me. Honestly didnt realise how much noise they made until they were old enough to move out of our room.

Sounds normal to me. Honestly didnt realise how much noise they made until they were old enough to move out of our room.

Good grief!! I can't believe the loud sounds that come out of a body so small!! How long does it take for them to grow out of this? A few months?

Normal. Not sure why really, but both of mine have sounded like a farmyard as newborns. I never really paid attention to when they grew out of it, but my youngest is nearly 4 months and has been a pretty quiet sleeper for quite a while.

Normal. Not sure why really, but both of mine have sounded like a farmyard as newborns. I never really paid attention to when they grew out of it, but my youngest is nearly 4 months and has been a pretty quiet sleeper for quite a while.

Ok thank you! I'm assuming it is related to the immature digestive and respiratory systems. I wonder if it will take longer for her to outgrow since she was delivered at 37 weeks? In any case, glad to know it's apparently normal to be the loudest sleeper on the planet in the tiniest body!

Their digestive systems especially are a source of insatiable trouble to start with! This baby had terrible trouble with gas and farting from 2-8 weeks, but is pretty much fine now lol. One day they just suddenly stop and you realise it's been a while since things were as difficult. Maybe she'll take a bit longer from being a little early. Only time will tell!

In the meantime, though, I'd say it's completely normal - and completely normal too to wonder and sometimes worry about every tiny thing and change. Thought I wouldn't worry this time round but turns out I'm just as anxious as I was the first time. :haha:

Their digestive systems especially are a source of insatiable trouble to start with! This baby had terrible trouble with gas and farting from 2-8 weeks, but is pretty much fine now lol. One day they just suddenly stop and you realise it's been a while since things were as difficult. Maybe she'll take a bit longer from being a little early. Only time will tell!

In the meantime, though, I'd say it's completely normal - and completely normal too to wonder and sometimes worry about every tiny thing and change. Thought I wouldn't worry this time round but turns out I'm just as anxious as I was the first time. :haha:

Oh that's good to know!!!! I was wondering if something in my diet was giving DD gas/tummy issues. Glad to know that's pretty normal too!

I can imagine I will always worry to an extent about DD and any children that may follow. As a ftm I am anxious about doing everything right to minimize risk of SIDS, etc. it's starting to ease up a bit... the anxiety.

Haha, I wish mine was. My 3 year old still sleeps on an Angel Care breathing monitor pad. :haha: More out of habit than anything, and I don't really worry she will stop breathing now she is 3, but I still haven't removed it ...?!

Part of my problem is knowing when she is awake and hungry at night. She makes SO MUCH NOISE that I'm constantly woken thinking she is awake and ready to nurse. My lactation consultant says DD will tell me by crying but my girl doesn't really cry often. She just fusses. So at 3 weeks old should I just set a timer for 3 hours and go based on that unless she actually does cry??

Neither of mine has ever cried for milk. :( It's always been very confusing for me - people say it's just because I meet their needs before they get really hungry, but it still feels like I am cheating somehow if I nurse my baby in the night while she isn't really awake, just because she moved or made a sound. Like I'm tricking her into eating or something.

Saying that, it's apparently very difficult to get a frantic, hungry, crying baby to latch and nurse with good coordination, so I'm not sure why you'd want to wait for that?!

I'd just offer as and when. Although mine often ends up eating in her sleep at night, sometimes she'll take a full meal and other times just flutter her tongue about, taking the odd sip and mostly just comforting, so I assume she knows what she is doing and if she really doesn't want to nurse, she won't. :shrug:

Neither of mine has ever cried for milk. :( It's always been very confusing for me - people say it's just because I meet their needs before they get really hungry, but it still feels like I am cheating somehow if I nurse my baby in the night while she isn't really awake, just because she moved or made a sound. Like I'm tricking her into eating or something.

Saying that, it's apparently very difficult to get a frantic, hungry, crying baby to latch and nurse with good coordination, so I'm not sure why you'd want to wait for that?!

I'd just offer as and when. Although mine often ends up eating in her sleep at night, sometimes she'll take a full meal and other times just flutter her tongue about, taking the odd sip and mostly just comforting, so I assume she knows what she is doing and if she really doesn't want to nurse, she won't. :shrug:
A fair enough point! I think it's more frustrating to me because I'm waking up trying to offer my lo a meal and she sleeps right on through said meal. Or opens wide, takes in a nipple, and 'flutters' (as you so greatly described it).

Some nights are good and some not so good. Yesterday night was awful. She only wanted to snack, which meant getting up every hour. Tonight has been great. A 4 hour stretch of 'sleep', a full nursing session, followed by a 3 hour stretch, and she is now nursing with what appears could be another full session.

I think it's all very normal and par for the course with a newborn sadly! We are their greatest comfort and when they want to suck, which is a lot of the time lol, we just have to go with it. Sounds totally trite, I know, as people say it all the time but it honestly does get better and won't always be so full on. Both times I've started out with the best of intentions and still ended up co-sleeping with both kids and side-lying to nurse, simply so I don't have to wake up completely. In fact, my first would only side-lie from 4 months-10 months and this one has exclusively nursed lying down since she was 5 weeks old! Joy! :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->