• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Induction at 37 weeks advice?

deirdre

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post, and I was hoping for some advice.
I am currently 29 weeks pregnant with my second child. My first child was stillborn at 35 weeks, unexplained. I've had numerous tests done and nothing came back abnormal. The pregnancy was going smoothly up until she stopped moving one day. I think the stress I was under at the time had a lot to do with losing our precious daughter.
Anyway, my doctors have been very attentive through this pregnancy. Lots of tests, monthly growth scans, starting nonstress tests in a few weeks. Everything has been normal. I have several doctors I see, and they have been supportive of my wishes for a natural, unmedicated birth up until I met with a different doctor last week. She told me they will be looking for any reason at all to induce me once I hit 37 weeks. Her exact words were, "We will induce you for basically nothing." I understand them wanting to make sure whatever happened to my daughter does not happen to my son, but speaking to this doctor really made me feel uncomfortable and put off. 3 weeks early seems a bit early to me, especially for "basically nothing." I will do anything to make sure my son is born alive and healthy, but I feel a natural birth is how he should and wishes to come into this world. I want to try to fight the proposal for an early induction, but also fear the pressure my doctors will put on me.
Has anyone experienced something similar? Should I ignore my gut feeling and follow the advice my doctors give me? Thanks to anyone who can help.

It is always your choice. Different doctors would have different ideas on it so I wouldn't want to leave the choice to chance according to what doctor you have. If it comes to it ask their reasons and make sure you agree with them. Maybe she was just trying to put your mind at ease because some women in your situation would rather be induced early. Babies born by induction at 37 weeks are at greater risk of having some problems and early inductions do not always work. That can mean several miserable days in hospital only to be sent home to try again when you are due or a CS. Induction tends to put a lot of strain on the mothers body and on the baby. I can understand why after a late loss some would opt for having their baby as early as possible but if that doesn't feel like the right choice to you there are good reasons to wait, you are not just being silly. Really there is no easy one solution fits all answer. Listen to your doctors and ask questions but make sure you agree with their reasons before you do anything. Completely different circumstances but I was under pressure to have an induction at 41 weeks, which is standard where I live. I chose not to and felt it was the best choice for me and LO. No one cares more about making the right choses for your LO than you do.

I agree Bunny on this one. Follow your gut not what your dr may want for you especially if they said "for basically nothing" that is crazy! 37 weeks is technically term which is why I think they threw out that number, however its still a bit early. Those last 3 weeks is spent strengthening lung function. I'd be just as adamant and grill them on well why? What if I don't? In the end no one can make you do something and its your body that will be going through the induction. (which by the way is no joke)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kayzee94
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->