Induction question

Laughing Girl

Reaction score
At my 34 week appt, my midwife said that I would "need to book in for an induction to be carried out at 41 + 4" due to my age (42) being linked to a higher chance my baby's placenta will begin to not work past that time.
I have been trawling the internet looking for info on this but can't find any and wonder if any of you could help?

Ah yes! Well, the question is, is there any correlation between maternal age and placentas ceasing to work at over 41 weeks? If so, where can I find accurate info?

I can't really comment as I don't know what evidence they have for that claim, or how they even test, other than weigh you? Or apparent inaccurate growth scans? I think I'd want solid 100% proof that induction was really necessary if that was me (I may think differently when the time comes, if they say 'best for baby' it scares you into thinking they know best, none of us want to put our babies at risk)

Our dues dates are just ESTIMATED so over 41 weeks could be perfectly normal gestation for you.
From what I've read, the placenta doesn't have an expiration date, as long as you're eating you're nourishing your baby - this is from midwifethinking.com
"However, in theory after term ie. 42 weeks the placenta starts to shut down. There is no evidence to support this notion and Sara Wickham gives a great critic of this theory if you ever get the chance to attend her workshops. I have seen signs of placental shut down (ie. calcification) in placentas at 37 weeks and I have seen big juicy healthy placentas at 43 weeks. There is also the idea that the baby will grow huge and the skull will calcify making moulding and birth difficult. Again there is no evidence to support this theory and babies are pretty good at finding their way out of their mothers expandable pelvis."
https://midwifethinking.com/page/2/ (two thirds of the way down) I've read so much online the last few weeks I can't find links to it all now

I really don't know if age would have any difference, I think you have to go with your instincts and hopefully trust that your midwife is confident it really is best for you and baby

Maybe the could monitor instead to begin with? Here's hoping you go into labour naturally before then

Not many weeks to go now, how exciting! :flower:

No, not really.

The due date is estimated, and you are not late until past 42 weeks (term is considered to be 38-42 weeks). The placenta doesn't just stop working. Yes, the placenta may weaken, and it may stop, but there are signs of that before it happens. A woman past 40 years of age does have an increase, but slightly, which I think a lot of providers leave out. Once you get to 41 weeks 5 days then I would make sure there is a thorough check of the baby's heart beat and placenta beat (the placenta makes a beating noise too). Past 42 weeks you could do a NST test which can be done in a few ways. 1. by being in the hospital and being hooked onto monitors for awhile, or 2. by a professional who knows how to conduct them with a fetoscope.

Wait - THEY want to perform the intervention, surely THEY should be proving to you that it is necessary?? Did you ask them to give you this info? What did they say?

I like how they tell you to book an induction... who is to say you will even need one??? Assuming, much? Not very positive are they :wacko:

Wait - THEY want to perform the intervention, surely THEY should be proving to you that it is necessary?? Did you ask them to give you this info? What did they say?

I like how they tell you to book an induction... who is to say you will even need one??? Assuming, much? Not very positive are they :wacko:

I think you're being a bit harsh on the mw tbh. Lots of trust policies are for induction at term plus 11 which is what is being offered to the opening poster. It's the standard and you must remember that only a very small percentage of the women that mw deals with will be having a home birth so she's probably just offering the info she offers to her "normal" range of women.

They have to explain the induction process to ALL women and I don't think it's a reflection of negativity or an unreasonable assumption. Most women want their baby out if they haven't given birth naturally by this time.

To the opening poster, I don't know about maternal age being a factor but placental function does decrease as you pass 41wks but I don't know of any studies/statistics to quote off the top of my head. I had a hospital birth with my dd and I have no regrets about it and will be doing the same this time.

But I did refuse induction with dd. I wanted go labour naturally. It didn't work, my bp shot up two days after what would have been my induction date (term plus 14 in my trust) and I had protein in my urine plus increased amniotic fluid. I was induced the following day for both my health and dd well being.

I disagree with Masada saying it should be down to the mw to prove the need for the intervention, I strongly feel it's your responsibility to educate yourself on the risk if there are any. If you want your home birth you should research the safety of it which I know you're trying to do. Keep searching the net and home birth websites for help.

I hope you go into spontaneous labour and it isn't an issue for you x

That's the sad thing these days 'hospital policy', covering their arses and fear of being sued. Over the last few decades medical professionals have been taught a 'one fits all' for birth - but all women, pregnancies and births are different, Doctors have timescales that they've set which our bodies just don't listen to! Birth isn't like being on a production line, all labouring at 40 weeks, after a set number of hours with 1cm per hour dilation on your back with placenta coming within 15 minutes, as that is how it's we do it here, is 'policy' sorry I went off on a tangent there!

In some ways I believe it is the midwife's job to explain, but I totally agree they are just following policy and procedure. Before I started looking more closely into birth and pregnancy I was totally clueless, I would've done and had anything the medical professional told me I had to have/do without even questioning why, or even wondering 'do I really need it' or 'can we wait/monitor', I didn't know any different - in fact I thought all women gave birth on their backs in hospital, I thought that was how it was done as I knew no better - probably like millions of women.

Please don't get me wrong, I am not anti-intervention or anti-medicine, far from it - modern medicine is wonderful - when it is essential by all means, I don't agree with unncessary intervention - I think I'd be taken aback a bit if I was told I HAVE to book in for a induction when they don't even know if there will even be a problem, they are very well trained and experienced, but not physchic. I'd have done exactly the same in your position Mindy_mini, I'm not silly or reckless enough to keep refusing intervention if there is a clear risk to me or my baby.

Rant over lol :flower:

I was told I HAD to have an induction at 41 1/2 weeks. I listened with my first (ended up with a c-section), and then ran this time around when the ob said it again at my 8 week appt (largely because induction is contra-indicated in a vbac and it seemed reckless of her). They can do non-stress tests and biophysical feedback profiles to check the baby, placenta, and amniotic fluid, which they should start doing around 41 weeks. i don't know about age being a factor, but this is at least standard of care in the US.

inductions are great, if the baby is ready and they work. anytime a dr or mw states an intervention is necessary prior to even getting to the stage where it might be indicated, i'd worry about it just being standard and not customized care.

I'm 41 yrs old. this is my fourth baby. I saw my MW today and addressed this issue. Asking her what she thought. You know what she said??

"your age has nothing to do with whether or not you need to be induced"

She totally poo-poo'ed the idea.

I LOVE my MW!! lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back