Infection in areola - can I feed?

halullat

Reaction score
I think I have an infection in one of those little bobbles with white dots on (I assume these are normal!) will it be okay to continue feeding?

I noticed it yesterday and carried on feeding him but he seems out of sorts today and I'm worried I shouldn't have done

Yes it's encouraged to keep feeding, lo will help suck any potential infection out.

I think it's called a bleb, try looking it up to see if that's what it looks like. If so you can also try gently scraping the top layer of the white part with a sterilized needle.

Thank you, it isn't on the actual nipple but higher up on the areola, it never goes in my LO's mouth so had thought it would be fine but then worried it would be a dangerous infection for him, especially as he seems so out of sorts. Lots of drooling, hand sucking, crying, not sleeping well and refusing to feed so I wasn't sure if it was teething but he seems quite young for teething x

I don't know how old your lo is but pus is comprised mostly of your white blood cells and won't harm him if he was to eat it. Sounds gross but it's true.

What makes you think it's infected? Could it be a blocked duct in the deeper tissue of your areola?

There are lots of reasons for the behaviour you described. Sorry, not much help there. My son is 4 months and going through what you described. It's really frustrating.

I stupidly picked at it and it looked a bit funny and the white stuff that is normally in it was a bit yellowish so I assume it must have got infected. I knew at the time I should leave it alone… The actual bump doesn't go into his mouth so I was hoping it wouldn't affect him but when he seemed out of sorts I worried it was an infection that was affecting my milk supply.

It's so sad when you can't seem to help them isn't it? x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->