infertile due to BV????

dreamqueen

Mummy at last!!
Reaction score
after being unsuccessful ttc for over a decade i have had 21 day bloods and dhs sa is normal......so, im waiting for appointment for hycosy, BUT i think i know why im infertile :cry: i was diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis 12yrs ago and given antibiotics.. Thinking about it now...i dont think its ever went away and i never knew how serious it was! It can cause severe infection of the reproductive tract and scarring! Im going to my drs in a couple of hours to voice my concerns, but even if it gets cured now, the damage has been done right?? Im so upset that something so simple has stolen my right to be a mum :cry:

after being unsuccessful ttc for over a decade i have had 21 day bloods and dhs sa is normal......so, im waiting for appointment for hycosy, BUT i think i know why im infertile :cry: i was diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis 12yrs ago and given antibiotics.. Thinking about it now...i dont think its ever went away and i never knew how serious it was! It can cause severe infection of the reproductive tract and scarring! Im going to my drs in a couple of hours to voice my concerns, but even if it gets cured now, the damage has been done right?? Im so upset that something so simple has stolen my right to be a mum :cry:

Im sorry to hear what youre goin thru!! I didnt want to read and run.
How horrible!! I hope that ur Doctor can help you in some way XX
BC

Ah poor you :hugs: try not to panic without knowing if that is the problem , easier said than done right? fingers crossed all will be ok, maybe they will send you for a laparoscopy instead so they can do a more thorough examination and hopefully put your mind at rest?

Hi hun - please try not to worry. BV will not make you infertile! And if it has caused any serious infections Im sure recent swabs would have shown it!

It can cause cervical erosion but again this has nothing to do with fertility!

So try not to worry. About 30% of women have BV (me included) and go on to have healthy babies!

The main problem for us is the quality of cervical mucus as BV can result in hostile mucus and make it harder for sperm penetration. But this by no means makes you infertile.

Ask your Dr for suppositories with "good bacteria" for your vagina. Try to cut out spicy, fatty, fried food as it can aggrevate BV and also use special vaginal soap/gel for the area.

You'll be fine - forget about BV - it's not even considered an illness anymore!!!

thanks alot girls :hugs: but honestly.....bv can cause pelvic inflammatory disease which left untreated can cause infertillity. I just know that this is my problem! Doctors dont educate patients with bv properly! Im so scared of what damage has been done after 12yrs with no treatment......im never gonna be a mum :cry: :wine:

BV does not cause PID, it's usually due to chlamydia or gonorrhoea. You can get PID from anaerobic bacteria that's true, but if in the past you had anaerobes in your fallopian tubes you'd be on death's door and in hospital on i.v. antibiotics, because it's a very serious type of infection. Rigid abdomen, high fever, vomiting etc. So, in other words, it doesn't cause the insidious, symptomless type of PID that chlamydia causes, it's very aggressive and obvious. So you would have known that you had PID, not be discovering it now for the first time?

You've probably read that anerobes/BV can cause PID, but the internet can be misleading, like I said you would really have been seriously ill if you ever had PID due to anaerobes, and it usually comes from retained products of conception following miscarriage of pregnancy (or in the olden days back-street abortions). I had anaerobes on my swab (more serious than BV) following an awful miscarriage at 11 weeks into the pregnancy. It was due to retained products and I too was terrified of having blocked tubes. My gynaecologist told me I'd really know if I had anerobes in my tubes, I'd be so ill and my pain was just irritable bowel due to all the antibiotics! Since then I had another pregnancy so it didn't block my tubes and that was a really nasty infection.

BV, like candida (thrush) is recurrent in many women and a nuisance but doesn't cause infertility, although it does increase your susceptibility to other STDs like chlamydia etc, and it's these organisms that cause blocked tubes not the BV. Even blocked fallopian tubes does not necessarily mean infertility. Even if you did have blocked tubes (due to chlamydia in most cases), it can be only one tube that's blocked which isn't so serious, plus IVF has a good success rate in the very worst scenario in younger women. Try not to worry, make an appointment with your GP.

Hi hun - please try not to worry. BV will not make you infertile! And if it has caused any serious infections Im sure recent swabs would have shown it!

It can cause cervical erosion but again this has nothing to do with fertility!

So try not to worry. About 30% of women have BV (me included) and go on to have healthy babies!

The main problem for us is the quality of cervical mucus as BV can result in hostile mucus and make it harder for sperm penetration. But this by no means makes you infertile.

Ask your Dr for suppositories with "good bacteria" for your vagina. Try to cut out spicy, fatty, fried food as it can aggrevate BV and also use special vaginal soap/gel for the area.

You'll be fine - forget about BV - it's not even considered an illness anymore!!!

any information on how the diagnose this?? I'm wondering if I have this too?!!

Just a simple vaginal swab done by your GP will diagnose BV. It may cause a fishy odour and discharge, but not always. Some women are prone to thrush, some more to BV, some have neither. It's something to do with vaginal pH.

I'm in the same boat! Iv had bacterial vaginosis for 4 years after having an abortion when I was 17... Since then I haven't been able to concieve! And I think its down to the bv also! Iv had swabs, bloods etc and they all came back fine (except the bv which I treated and it hasn't come back) I'm booked in for a hsg dye test on the 16th aug and I'm terrified that bv has blocked up my tubes!!! :-( xxxxx

hey rachel.... I had abortion too at 17 and a mc at 18 unable to get pregnant since. Bv can cause pid and its not always accompanied by symptoms! I had my hycosy back in june. They managed to get dye through one tube but couldnt see the other one. I definately think the bv has its part to play. Getting reffered for a lap and dye so they can see exactly whats going on xx

Dramaqueen... I'm so upset that something so simple may have stolen my right to be a mum.. There definately needs to be more information on bv.... I'm scared to death that when I have my HSG on the 16th aug, they will find blocked tubes... :-( on a more positive, one of your tubes is open!!! :) xxxxX

aww Rach... Try not to worry. I know its so hard though! It took them time to get the dye through my open tube so i reckon it was blocked too and hoping that i can pregnant cos of the hycosy! Fxd. Well we can hope cant we! Wishing u luck with the hsg. My test was a wee bit different, hence why i got my results straight away. I think uve got wait a wee while for hsg results dont you? X

and remember... Good chance of pregnancy in the first 3 cycles after hsg so look at it as a positive thing! A spring clean of the tubes! And at least you will have answers. Its the not knowing that is the hardest thing i reckin! X

Yeah I just wanna KNOW what the problem is! Sick of self diagnosing myslef using google! All it does is upset me! Lol... Yeah I'm gunna be positive, fingers crossed that the dye pushes the blockage out of the way!! And good luck to you, baby dust, xxxx

P.s... I think I will have the results right away also, as I will be able to see the screen? I have an appointment on the 25th aug aswell, as they will have all the results from all the tests then and will be able to diagnose me and give me treatment if necessary xxx

oh... It sounds like a hycosy then and not a hsg. Hycosy uses vaginal ultrasound, and hsg uses xrays! I was told i would get to see on the screen myself for the hycosy (in the patient information leaflet) but they never showed me and i was too shy to ask! They couldnt find the neck of my womb to insert the catheter into and had to clamp it! It was pretty traumatic for me! Strange uncomfortable pressure and felt like i really needed a pee! (make sure u go for a wee first) but once they found it i never felt a thing! It was pretty much pain free! Id been really worried bout it too... But dont worry bout what ive said above.. That is quite unusual i think. Freak that i am lol. Got everything crossed for you! Your tubes might be perfect! I know thats probably the only thing that makes sense but lots of couples have unexplained infertility! But plenty of baby dust to you, please let me know how u get on Rachel :dust: :dust:

I hope you ladies don't mind me stopping in here. I was surprised to find out when I went through all of the infertility testing that I had bv and pid. They then told me that my ultrasound showed that my tubes were infected - but not blocked. They said that even with medication the infection would not leave my tubes and that the infectious fluid in my tubes would kill anything (even embryos put in by ivf). So they booked me for laproscopic surgery to have my tubes removed. When the surgeon went in he found no infection but rather fluid filled cysts that he removed along with endo and some other ovarian cysts. I then got pg with ivf. SO i think that the bv and pid didn't actually affect my chances.

Best wishes ladies. xo

thanks for sharing your story and congratulations! I suppose it depends on how long the pid has been left untreated as to wether it will result in damaged tubes. Happy to hear a good story though!

Thanks ladies, I'm having a hysterpingolgram (bad spelling) which is the xray.... So bleedin scared of the chance I may never have children xxx

Ps... Iv had the vaginal ultrasound which showed a healthy norman uterus, and normal ovaries with no sign of any cyts or anything... So god knows! I have my follow up on the 25th aug so hopefully everything will be explained in detail! And I shall heep you lovely ladies informed! :) xxxx

hi Rachel. The hycosy shows the ovaries, uterus etc and then they inflate the balloon and inject dye.... Just like the hsg, but i dont think you get results straight away with hsg to be honest! From what i learnt on another thread, but at least uve got an appointment not long after it! Dont be scared chick... You will be fine, and its better to know whats going on. I was in denial for far too many years! :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->